Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Default AAHA and AMVA's position on cropping, docking and dewclaw removal

As breeders, how do you feel about the new statements (though not all that new I hadn't seen them before) from the AMVA and AAHA on docking, cropping and dewclaw removal? I went with Dekka to her vet today and she was told that it's doubtful they will do dewclaws and tails even on working dogs, and referred her to the posted statements on the wall.

I'm not really impressed as the owner of a docked breed. Do you think more vets will adopt their stance and push all of these procedures underground? I fear this might be the beginning of the end. Vets refuse to do it and then ban all non vets?

The AAHA's statement if you haven't seen it
Quote:
Ear Cropping/Tail Docking Position Statement

Ear cropping and/or tail docking in pets for cosmetic reasons are not medically indicated nor of benefit to the patient. These procedures cause pain and distress, and, as with all surgical procedures, are accompanied by inherent risks of anesthetic complications, hemorrhage, and infection. Therefore, the American Animal Hospital Association opposes both the cropping of ears and the docking of tails when done solely for cosmetic reasons. Veterinarians should counsel and educate pet owners that these procedures should not be performed unless medically necessary. The American Animal Hospital Association also encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards.
AVMA's statement:

Quote:
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Executive Board voted to strengthen association policy on two practices common in certain breeds of dogs—ear cropping and tail docking.

The revised AVMA policy states: "The AVMA opposes ear cropping and tail docking of dogs when done solely for cosmetic purposes. The AVMA encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards."

"For many years the AVMA has acknowledged that ear cropping and tail docking of dogs for cosmetic purposes are not medically indicated nor of benefit to our canine patients," explains Dr. Ron DeHaven, chief executive officer of the AVMA. "Our latest policy revision doesn't represent a change in perspective, but, rather, makes that perspective clear with a stronger statement."

The AVMA decided to adjust its policy on tail docking and ear cropping after a scheduled review of an existing policy. The review included an analysis of scientific literature and available data, an assessment of the practical experience of veterinarians, and deliberations by the AVMA Animal Welfare Committee.

"Why we perform certain procedures is one of the first questions we ask. Once that question is answered, committee members look at any associated welfare concerns," explains Dr. Gail Golab, director of the AVMA Animal Welfare Division. "'Cosmetic' implies the basis for these procedures is to alter the dog's appearance. Welfare risks identified included those associated with surgical procedures, i.e., anesthetic complications, pain, blood loss and infection. In the committee's opinion, the risk-benefit analysis supports professional opposition to performing these procedures for purely cosmetic reasons."

In recommending policy revisions, the committee was careful to distinguish ear cropping and tail docking performed for cosmetic reasons from procedures performed for therapeutic or preventive purposes. "If it can be responsibly demonstrated that the purpose of performing the procedure is to protect the health and welfare of the dog, then of course the Association would support the appropriate surgery," said Dr. DeHaven.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Lord Cynical

Let's just say I'm glad there are vets out there that are perfectly willing to dock and crop.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I'm not very familiar with the AAHA, but the AVMA long ago sold out to the ARists. It's all about money.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Boxer Buddy

I have to agree...they sold out...

I am just glad that some vets have BRAINS and can think for themselves...sigh...so stupid...instead of working on pet retention issues we are focusing on little things like cropping and docking....silly if you ask me!

S

Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Just try me..

To me I am not upset my vets choose not to. I knew they didn't like doing it before. I have no issues with a vet that chooses not to for their own reasons. I am not impressed that vets don't just because they are following someone else's reasons.

To me this is silly. Most breeders do their own tails. So all this will do is to get MORE people to try it at home or have some breeder do it for them. If the goal is to make it better for dogs.. not sure how this is going to have any impact at all.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I prefer home docked anyways, I find it less stressful for Mom and Pups... However not everyone can/wants to dock at home, so I hope they will not have trouble finding vets willing to help them. As for dewclaws, I truly consider that as much preventative as cosmetic, esp. in breeds that tend to dig. Mindy has torn her dews too many times to count and it hurts like a bugger based on how she reacts, and she's no wimp... LOL
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I'm not in agreement with cropping or docking, so I agree with their position. And gladly, I have a vet that rarely does those procedures, and has said before that he will eventually quit doing them all together.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Not a lurker

I'm not thrilled with their position on it. Whatever happened to the owners choice? I see dewclaws being important, and tails for some breeds...ears, I don't know how important it is, however I feel it's the dog owners choice and should remain as such.

All this will do is drive up the price for vets that are still willing to do this.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Yorkie Love

vets wont crop or dock but they will continue to reccomend Purina and Hill's Food

Hopefully good breeders will have alternatives.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Hopefully good breeders will have alternatives.
Thankfully, most of the good breeders use vets that won't stop cropping - vets that make a living ONLY cropping puppies.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)