Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Twin 2.0

Default Looking for a few good breeders

I was talking with some friends this evening and they told me that they're really looking for a 13" male dark(er) tri-color beagle puppy. I ran them through a gauntlet of questions, just to make sure they weren't being sucked in by puppy love, but they passed. The biggest problem they have is where to actually get the puppy. They've checked around and Kansas itself seems to be a wee bit short of Beagle breeders that wouldnt' require them to drive half the state. They've looked on the Web and so have I, but we've both come up empty-handed. So, do any of you know of some good, reputable breeders that will ship a short distance to Eastern Kansas or some good breeders in Eastern Kansas/Western Missouri? I warned them about pet stores and classified puppies.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

If their heart is right they would be willing to travel to get the puppy. No shipping policy here... sorry...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

if they REALLY want one, they dont mind driving quite a distance. if they dont have the $$ for gas...then they shouldnt have pets sorry, not tryin to be mean, but its the truth...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Twin 2.0

I know distance isn't *that* huge of a deal, they're willing to drive at least 45 minutes to go to the vet they like. I think it's just more of they don't want to drive 7 hours because they feel it's too stressful to an 8 week old puppy.

The fact still remains that there really aren't many breeders around these parts.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Top Dog

u're right about the long drive. just as bad as the shipping...i know it sucks not to have breeders around. have they tried the SPCA, and tried to rescue one..they may get lucky...i will look online and try to find some breeders....

http://www.doggies.com/Beagle/Kansas
http://adopt-a-beagle.1-800-save-a-p...search_dogs_14
Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

A 7 or 8 hour drive should be NO BIG DEAL! You bond with the puppy while in the car and make multiple stops along the way!! That's a GREAT way to bond with the puppy. I don't understand where you're coming from. That scenario is MUCH different than boxing up the dog and putting him into checked luggage... or even worse, a "transported animal" in the belly of a plane.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Twin 2.0

Hey, hey, it's not my puppy. I don't have a problem with driving, but this is them and not me. I'm just trying to help out and find them a place to start looking besides the BYB classifieds.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
Hey, hey, it's not my puppy. I don't have a problem with driving, but this is them and not me. I'm just trying to help out and find them a place to start looking besides the BYB classifieds.
Sorry to be so hot on the subject. I guess I don't see a big deal with transporting the baby by car because you can make stops along the way. In fact, that makes the bonding experience even better!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Top Dog

We traveled 2 hours to get my pup. She just took it as an adventure. But personaly i wouldn't travel 10 hours. I get really bad car sickness. Like real bad. I was struggling to go for the 2 hour journey. But yeah
Old 08-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

I think it's the main reason why lots of people don't get their dogs from good breeders. They are too rare, too far apart, and lots of people, often misinformed, don't want to bother waiting 6 months or travelling 10 hours for it...

I was looking for a newfoundland breeder about 10 months ago. The closest ones were 4-5 hours away from here. The first one told me they would have pups in March, and to contact them in December to go see the mom. I did, and she was 'oh no our next litter will be in one year now'. Um thanks... She told me to contact another breeder, which I did, and I never got a reply. From the 5 breeders I contacted, that was the only reply I got. Sure, it was emails, but I really think it wasn't serious at all from them... If they give their email address, they should at least reply... at least for a first contact, and I was asking about going to visit them to see their dogs etc. So I never got my newfie