Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Any1 know of any GOOD chi breeders?

My friend wants a chihuahua, she knows i love dogs and know alot about them soo she keeps sending me links to breeders she finds online to see what I think about them.. each one is worse than the next. "teacups" pocket sized" "deer head" no health testing.. EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SIZE ughh and of course loud obnoxious music. Maybe its because my dog is from a shelter and im used to adoption fees but is $3000+ normal price?

so she asks me to look for a good one for her, but i cant seem to find any good ones myself! I dont know a whole lot about breeding but all she is looking for is a healthy, happy, within breed standard as far as size, preferably long coated Chi. She always wants a breeder that will ship and "shows that they love their dogs". The temperment of the mother and father dog is very important to her. It would be her first dog ever, she has done alot of research, babysat my dog yogi and feels like she is ready

the thing im concered about, is that she loves the dog park and such, and plans to take her dog there once the dog is old enough (they have a small dog section) Ive heard that most chis are not very good with other dogs, is this true? even if the dog is trained and socialized with other dogs?

POST AWAY
Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Wish I could help !!! I'd have her check with her state's breed club .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

where did Jessie get her Chis? She is somewhere in Florida as well, and she has a long haired baby.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

I haven't heard that they are bad with dogs. Many websites and many people base their assumptions on Chihuahuas on the typical Chi, that means the BYB under socialized Chi.

does she wants a breeder close so that she can visit? Will shy fly out? Is she okay not going to the breeder's house?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

I was looking at some and almost threw up, one said "we almost always will have about 40 puppies to choose from"

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Resident fainting goat

just when you think you've seen the worst..

you find one like this
Teacup puppies for sale, Yorkshire Terrier puppies, Pomeranians, tcup Maltese, tcup Westie, Yorkies for sale, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians,Toy Poodles and more.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah. So?

Oh gag.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Yorkie Love

As far as the cost, 3000 is really not all that uncommon for a toy breed puppy from a good breeder. The thing is if the breeders are doing all the testing that you would want done it can get costly. Also the risks of toy breed births are increased and therefore so are the costs. Add to that the problem that you dont end up with a litter of 7 to 11 but many times only 1-3. Bella was a single birth, Armani and Elle each had 1 sibling. Therefore, they cant really spread the cost around very effectively.

I have been looking at Biewer Yorkie breeders and found a really great one and her pet quality pups are about 2000 if she every has any available.

Also, remember the waiting lists may be very long for toy breeds.

This breeder I was talking about may have 1 to 2 litters a year which is only a handful of puppies... then she decides if she will keep any, then places in show/breeding homes, and then if there is anything left will sell as pets. Although, this is still a very new breed so it is a little different.

Good Luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

I personally think $3000 is VERY high considering that a lot of chihuahua people don't do THAT much health testing.

I'd recommend contacting Gayle here - CeeGee's Chihuahuas - her dogs are lovely and she herself is a very ethical person. LOVE her dogs temperaments and if I ever decided to get a Chih, it'd be from her.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm All Ears

$3000 is a lot for a toy or chi pet quality puppy. I see about $750-$1400 for pet quality papillons. A show quality for $2000 then maybe, but a pet for $3000? I think you can find something a lot cheaper and probably in the $1000 something range.