Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Active Pup

Poodles are another dog I'm not all that fond of. I have been looking at Poodle designer breeds though. And yeah, I've checked out the Chinese Crested. The hairless actually appeals to me, but sunburn is a major problem here and I'd be constantly worried. It'd be a year round issue considering CA has only 2 temperatures: hot and hotter hahaha
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 AM
My Master

Well i have a westie mix..so ill speak from my point of view as a westie owner

First off, ENERGY. My goodness. But i think thats all terriers. Shes calmed down alot now that shes 3, but puppy wise, at 19 (when i got her) I had a hard time keeping up with her! lol. But personality wise, spiteful at times, extremely smart, very sweet, stubborn, thick headed for sure!, but obediant at the same time, very people friendly.

Oh and about the cats..ive never heard of that? One thing that was always said to me to (i own 10 birds) was that because she was a "terrier" shed be a horrible dog around birds. WRONG. She is absolutely wonderful. Shes extremely good natured and will sit there and allow my birds to crawl all over her and do nothing. She even takes the evil chases from my Goffins who thinks shes a toy lol.

Overall i love her dearly. I think theyre great dogs. I had a pomeranian years ago..i think theyre the cutest things ever. One thing i noticed about Bear was he was more of a one person dog (my dog). But i got him when he was older so he may have had his reasons. He was a bit nippy to other people, very yappy. I dont find Lacey yappy at all..but i will say she is very protective.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Active Pup

I understand protective :P I have a rott/german shepherd. I don't mind taking her out alone, she growls at anyone and everyone she doesn't know how gets close enough haha She's all bark, no bite though. But because of her looks/size, everyone is terrified of her, poor thing. She's really a sweetheart with her chubby cheeks and the way she shakes her butt when she walks
It's good to hear the other side of the story concerning Westies and other animals. Thats a huge reason why I posted here! I've become more in love with them lately than I was previously.
Omg, my friend has a pom. Too cute! You just want to steal him hahaha Especially with his little lion cut. Talk about irresistible!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:42 AM
My Master

Haha, I USED to think Lacey was all bark. I was walking with her alone at my old apartments when she was about a year old.(late at night by the way). Well some guy approached me from behind (i didnt see him) and was going to ask me if he could borrow my pool key so he could get a soda being that the vending machine was in the pool area. Well... if i wasnt holding Lacey, i wouldve been in trouble. Not ONLY did she snarl, she LUNGED at this guy. She came inches from his leg and was out for blood..i was SHOCKED.

I really do adore poms! I hope one day to have another. But 3 dogs would really be pushing it for me..i think 2 is! Yet i can have a whole flock of birds..nothing wrong with me LOL
Old 04-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Active Pup

Wow hahaha for being so cute, they sure can protect
Roxy has gotten a lot better. She still barks when someone pulls in the driveway. Not excessively, just a warning. It's very deep and makes new visitors nervous the first few times. It's so cute to see such a girly dog with a big mean bark haha
I fell in love with Westies after seeing the Cesar dog food commercial. How can you not love a face like that? It's probably the world's cutest westie lol
Old 04-04-2009, 03:06 AM
My Master

Aww i know just what one youre talking about! Haha. I actually never heard of one until my friend got Laceys mother. Cute little fluffy dog, i was in LOVE. Its good to have a dog with a mean bark Im glad my dogs are barkers, i think it makes people think twice before breaking into a home..just my opinion tho They cant SEE them, but they hear 2 dogs barking. I dont think mind sound very small..hehe
Old 04-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Active Pup

They have a female Westie pup in the pet store at the mall. It's so tempting to buy, but I don't have the time for a puppy right now And I try to stay away from the pet store ones. It's just so hard to find breeders, even in a well populated place like San Diego.
The Maltese has also been on my mind lately. I'm doing some research on them right now. They're too cute Them and Yorktese/Morkies.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 AM
and Fozzie B!

Yes... stay away from pet stores. FAR, far away! Miles, if possible. D: Buying a pet store puppy is putting money right into the pockets of horrendous, morally corrupt a-holes who could care less about where their puppies end up. Not only that, but you're paying $1000's for a potentially diseased and probably genetically/structurally unsound puppy... not to mention the lack of care for temperament and poor socialization.

If you want a cute little mixed breed puppy, search Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder. I adopted a super precious mixed breed puppy through petfinder, and there are countless adorable, small mixed breed (and even purebred) pups up for adoption in Southern California. Please, for the love of doG, do not purchase a Yorktese/Morkie/Mindy (did you get that joke? nanunanu) from an unscrupulous "designer" dog breeder. There are more than enough adorable mixed breeds dying in shelters without ignoramuses breeding them, giving them a ridiculous name and selling them for $1000's more than a rescue pup of the same exact caliber.

If you are interested in a breeder, make sure they do health checks. That means x-raying and certifying the hips, elbows/patellas, eyes, etc of the parent dogs. As well as temperament testing on all of the breeding dogs, and complete availability to meet the parents. It's also preferable that the parents are titled in conformation... at least pointed, if not a CH. Show dogs might seem excessive, but in the end, dog showing is completely practical and necessary to maintain the physical appearance of many breeds. Imagine a Pug without a flat nose. Or a 30-lb Chihuahua. Conformation showing helps to preserve the individual qualities of the breeds we have, so it's essential that dogs who are bred have proven themselves in the show ring to be a great example of their breed. Check out Jane Anderson's Learn to Breed Site to find out what to look for in a breeder. Google the national breed club for the breeds you're interested in to get into contact with good breeders who are truly passionate about their breed and producing sound dogs. Doing so, and finding a reputable breeder rather than buying from a random internet/classified ad breeder or pet store, can end up saving you $1000's in Vet bills, and countless hours of training, pain and heartache.

Based on your description, I recommend a cute "designer" Poodle mix from a shelter/rescue (btw, Poodle mixes are no guarantee that the dog will be hypoallergenic). Maybe a Shih Tzu? I set up this search San Diego, CA: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder for you to browse.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Top Dog

please don't buy a mixed breed dog from a breeder, breeding mixes is a fad because people realized they could make money off of dogs with ridiculous names by pretending they are some cool new breed. They are not, obviously, they are not breeds anymore than the mutt from the shelter is a breed.

I can't be any help with the breeds but when you choose one I can help you find a GOOD breeder.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Sit! Good dog.

On the westie - yes, terriers, but I don't believe that they all grow up yappy and chasing cats.

At all.... Not only from meeting many (considered family pets and 'old lady' dogs here), but my 'old lady' had one My gran had a lovely westie (who is still alive living with my uncle - not rehomed, my gran died) called Suzie, who grew up with cats and thousands and thousands of small grandchildren. And she was a love bug sweetie.

Like all westies I have met.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein