Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Not a lurker

My "vicious" pitbull and I play tug frequently. It's fun! She also plays it with my 2 year old who sits down and loves being dragged on his butt across the kitchen floor...she lets him win frequently. Lord knows if she didn't want to let him, he'd never get it, but as soon as he gets it from her, he brings it back, and if she gets it from him, she brings it back.

Yep, so aggressive. :-)
Old 04-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Resident fainting goat

we allow tug here, but when i say "ENOUGH" she lets go or i get up and walk away and the game is over
we dont play it that often, because she much prefers fetch

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I always play tug with my dogs. I even let them win the game and carry the tug back to their crate.

Tug is a great way to be interactive with the dog and allows you to play with him while keeping him focused on you and engaged with you - ideal for training.

Aggression is aggression and playing is playing. The dog I have with the most aggression has the least interest in playing tug (or playing anything else).

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

I love tug, my dog never knew the "out" command and he never got aggressive. Tugging does not make a dog aggressive with you, why would it, it's a game? So long as you the dog understands that hands are not to be touched while tugging I don't think there would be any problems unless your dog is already a resource guarder. I would teach an "out" command for convenience, it makes life easier in case he takes some object and thinks when you go to get it it's tug time.

I love tug, it's my favorite dog game and i think it will be somewhat of a requirement for the dog I adopt. There was a pit bull at save a dog that was the greatest tug partner ever.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 AM
BusterLove

I use it with Buster because. a. He loves it and b. it helps him get more confident.
We have rules (drop it the second I say so, watch your teeth with my hands etc) but he really enjoys it.
If I drop it and let him win, he runs straight back to me and tries to hand me the tuggy again.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Good link there. Yeah...tug is a game but all games have rules. I teach "give" as one of the first puppy lessons and split things up when we play tug. Most of the time I let the dog win and I am sure to throw in a few "gives" along the way just to keep him humble. Then I give the toy right back for another round. ("take") It's definitely not a cause for aggression or dominance. Dogs and humans have played together for eons.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Active Pup

how about a toy to wrestle around with your puppy. only play with that toy and your puppy will know its playtime when you grab the wrestle toy.