Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Big Dog

Default Please settle this argument re: dog toys!

My spouse says that if you use tugging type toys with a dog, that it will make them behave in a more aggressive way.

I am of the thought that it would help a puppy to burn off some energy, so long as you keep the game low key.

I thought that aggressiveness is an inborn trait that perhaps can be changed to a small degree, but not totally.

I await your opinions (pant, pant) and then I can put this disagreement to final rest!!!

Thank you pup people!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

I play tug with all my dogs, but then they get to bite people for fun too so maybe I'm not a good example.

but seriously, you start the game of tug and you end it on your terms and give the dog regular boundaries and it is a great game. Fun for you, fun for the dog and can be a real bonding experience and if your dog really likes it, it can be a great reward for obedience training.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Just try me..

If that is so then all the top trainers of agility and flyball dogs are teaching dogs to be agressive!

LOL seriously though no it doesn't. Tug is a co operative game played by 'friends'. Its not a contest. If you watch dogs playing tug often if one lets go (or you let go) the dog will bring it back. It takes at least 2 to tug. Its a great reward for training and is bonding. Just make sure there are ground rules then everyone one will be happy.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
overdogged

tug is a great game but make sure you teach the dog to release on command. make the game contingent on the dog controlling himself. all of my dogs find tug to be fun and rewarding and none of them are aggressive toward people.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM
My house is a zoo

I play tug with all of my dogs. They all know to let go of it when I ask them to and I will frequently ask them to take short breaks to do commands/tricks, etc. I think it's a great game for them and don't believe it makes them aggressive at all.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Big Dog

Thanks one and all.....tuggy is a little rammy tontie; we had loads of rain today!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I play tug with all my dogs, but then they get to bite people for fun too so maybe I'm not a good example.

but seriously, you start the game of tug and you end it on your terms and give the dog regular boundaries and it is a great game. Fun for you, fun for the dog and can be a real bonding experience and if your dog really likes it, it can be a great reward for obedience training.
A lot of SAR people use tuggies as a reward for finding someone, and the dogs don't get to bite people for fun so it's okay. You're still a good example.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Since Goldens are soft mouthed ... I never played tug with them , but let them play amongst themselves .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
A Unit of Resistance

print this for your spouse: http://www.sfspca.org/resources/libr...tug-of-war.pdf

tug is a great game if everyone plays by the same rules.

"Given the amount of statistical facts and their wide spread exploitation by the mass media, it surely pays to be at least aware of the dangers (how easily we may be duped with scientifically sounding facts and numbers)."

A. Bogomolny, Author of: Misuse and Misconception of Statistical Facts
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm View Post
print this for your spouse: http://www.sfspca.org/resources/libr...tug-of-war.pdf

tug is a great game if everyone plays by the same rules.
Very good piece. Thanky much!