Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Big Dog

Default When the rain comes......

........they run and hide their heads............well, just like our former Aussie (RIP Mathilda), our new Wow puppy Val isn't a fan of rainy weather. He was almost completely housebroken and now whe it rains, he doesn't seem comfortable doing his "business" outside. My former girl didn't get shy about rain until she was much older, as I recall.

Is this a puppy thing for this puppy? Anyone have any suggestions to help with a not so happy wet puppy? By the way, he just turned 3 months on 3/30.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Take him outside in the rain and wait until he does his business. Then run inside.

Mine have learned that if they go outside the quicker they potty the quicker they get to come inside.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Big Dog

Makes perfect..wet...sense!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Big Dog

wat o_o
Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Big Dog

Okay, it's raining cats and dogs (not exactly) here. I knew it was going to be "one of those days" with Val. He is almost housebroken but these rainy days are killing us. Please assure me that he will outgrow his problem with doing his business outside as he gets older.

I took Val outside and he managed to do his pee but came inside and of course, did his poop. I know that I recall that my girl Aussie (rip) didn't have this much trouble with the rain or housebreaking, in general. I hear tell that the girls are easier than the boys in this department.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

No, you need to keep him outside until he poops. If he doesnt, bring him back inside and crate him for 10-20 minutes then repeat. Reward with a bit of play when he comes back inside.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
No, you need to keep him outside until he poops. If he doesnt, bring him back inside and crate him for 10-20 minutes then repeat. Reward with a bit of play when he comes back inside.
He doesn't really like the crate anyway, so I guess I will try it, after his next meal tonite. The little guy is snoozelying peacefully now.

We keep him in the kitchen at night and when he needs to calm down. I shampooed the carpet near where he goes; bless that Bissell 2X.

The breeder of our dog said that she has her dogs have their meals in their crate, so to get them to like being crated, but she shows her dogs, and I don't expect to be showing this handsome little guy, but I just don't have the heart to put a puppy in his crate for his meals. I guess I am an ole softy.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie View Post
........they run and hide their heads............well, just like our former Aussie (RIP Mathilda), our new Wow puppy Val isn't a fan of rainy weather. He was almost completely housebroken and now whe it rains, he doesn't seem comfortable doing his "business" outside. My former girl didn't get shy about rain until she was much older, as I recall.

Is this a puppy thing for this puppy? Anyone have any suggestions to help with a not so happy wet puppy? By the way, he just turned 3 months on 3/30.
I stand out there with them. And supervise them like a hawk.
Wise Dogs has fast potty training tips.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie View Post
He doesn't really like the crate anyway, so I guess I will try it, after his next meal tonite.

The breeder of our dog said that she has her dogs have their meals in their crate, so to get them to like being crated, but she shows her dogs, and I don't expect to be showing this handsome little guy, but I just don't have the heart to put a puppy in his crate for his meals. I guess I am an ole softy.
THe crate should not be used as a punishment. If he is not comfortable in the crate, your first order of business should be to get him comfortable in the crate, before using the crate for potty training.

Crates are very important for many reasons. Most dogs learn to like their crates, it is pretty much the only space in the whole world that is THEIRS alone, that no one else bothers with. This gives them a great sense of security, which is very important if you ever travel with him or need to board him somewhere; he will be much more comfortable, even though traveling is uncomfortable for most dogs. If he ever gets hurt or needs surgery, he will have to be on "crate rest," and you do NOT want that to be the first time he has had to be comfortable in a crate, that would be extremely stressful.

Plus, of course, crates are very helpful when potty training. Most puppies will not potty in their crates (especially if you feed them in there!), so you can put him in the crate and know that he's not going to have an accident in the house. This will help teach him bladder control - you can't just "go" whenever you feel like you need to, you have to hold it sometimes - as well as provide you with a "babysitter" for when you cannot supervise him as closely as you need to. Every time he potties in the house, he is practicing that bad behavior and it will become a habit. Every time he potties outside, he is practicing that good behavior and IT will become a habit. If he potties inside, that's one less time you can reward him for pottying outside.

Dogs learn, too, that on nice days when it's comfortable to go outside, he should only potty outside; but on rainy or uncomfortable days, it's ok to potty inside. So even if you go a long time without an accident in the house, every time it rains you are going to have a mess to clean up, if you don't get serious about the problem as soon as possible!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Big Dog

Like I said on another thread, he likes to use a part of the carpet that our former Aussie, Mathilda, used as an area if she wasn't feeling well. Dear Mathilda passed away in early February; I don't want to think about her, it's still a fresh pain in the heart, at age 14.2. I think that even though the carpet has been shampooed plenty of times, that he smells her scent and thinks it's an okay place for using as a bathroom!

He is very smart, but that spot keeps him coming back to use as his personal bathroom. I told my hub that we have to seriously think about ripping up the carpet. There are hardwood floors underneath anyway, and we've already taken up the dining room and front hallway carpet.