Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Default just got my first chihuahua ever any tips???

hi i just got my first chihuahua ever and i am kinda in the dark with this breed.
everything i read and tried to learn just doesn't seem enough is there any kid of information that would be very important that a first time chi owner should know???

like diet, health, training, basic info anything really i feel like a first time mom with this little guy and would love some support!

i also would like to get into possible showing him if anyone knows what to look for in that area.
i don't know if he is even show worthy and i don't understand some terminology used online as to what to look for on him to see if he has what it takes?

i welcome anything, anything at all the more information i can learn the better.

thanks for reading and anything you have to offer

i don't think the breeder breeds to show so i don't think she will know.

also he has his first shots that's it so i still want to keep him in till he at least get's his second set before i introduce him to animals i think that would be safer.

Last edited by tjedt; 04-02-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Yorkie Love

Hi there!

As far as showing, your breeder should be able to tell you if this pup is a show prospect.

Otherwise, everything else is the same as any dog. The only thing you need to worry about would be low blood sugar if the pup is very smal. You can combat this by putting a small amount of Karo syrup in the water for the first few months or until they reach a decent weight.

Also, SOCIALIZATION is key, but again this really goes for any dog.
He probably doesnt have the necessary shots yet, right? But you can still introduce him to people and safe dogs until he does.
Once he does, get him out there meeting lots of people and dogs!

There is no special food really for small dogs, although some have more sensitive stomachs and therefore many times you may need to find a food with a single protein source, however, this is not a rule just a generalization,

Ask any other questions you think of.

Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Chihuahua Power!

All three of my chihuahuas are on a raw diet. Chihuahuas don't need any kind of a special diet... they're just like any other dog breed.

If your chi was a show prospect, your breeder should have let you known that. I'd love to see some pictures of him.

Hypoglycemia is something to look out for... so make sure you're feeding your puppy at least 4 times a day (small meals). I feed mine raw in the morning, then at 6, and then at around 10pm. He also gets a bowl of grainfree kibble to munch on throughout the day. Make sure you have Nutrical on hand if your puppy isn't eating as much as he should be.

ALWAYS keep water down... very important.

And like PM said, socialization is very important.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Puppy Dog

Here are some additional information about Chihuahuas. Good luck! Learn about Chihuahuas, how to find, care and train them
Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

Nutrical is also pretty important for small breed pups
Old 04-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Squishy22

I dont have much to add. I do stress that this breed (or any breed really) needs as much socialization as you can get them. Thats one of the most important things you can do. I hate nothing more than having a dog who is nervous and uneasy around people... even aggressive.

Ok, now.... WE NEED PICS!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambee View Post
Here are some additional information about Chihuahuas. Good luck! Learn about Chihuahuas, how to find, care and train them
I dont agree with some things that are in that link.

Quote:
The Chihuahua makes the perfect pal for anyone interested in a long-term companion. They do require careful handling due to their fragile size, and are not the best family dog. Chihuahuas are known to be temperamental, and for the most part are not friendly towards children.
Truffles breeder has several chihuahuas and they all adore Madison, my one year old. Madison and my 5 month old chihuahua get along amazingly well. Madison can get a little rough and I have to teach her how to be "easy" and Truffles is very good about letting Madison pet and play with him. He loves licking her ears, in fact.

They also state in that link that chihuahuas are 2 to 4 pounds, which is false. Chis can be up to 6 pounds.

Quote:
Chihuahuas are one-person dogs. They are known to establish a close, trusting relationship with one person, and will be suspicious of everyone else. For this reason, they donít make the best family pet.
Dont agree with this either. Truffles and my last pure bred chi loved everyone in the household. He will cuddle up to any one of us. Not one suspicious bone in his lil body. lol.

One of my breeders females giving kisses to Madison.

Made the mistake of sitting Madison down on the floor and she was SWARMED with chihuahua lovins. hehe.

Chihuahuas are serious ear lickers, and they dont care who the ear belongs to.

If properly bred and socialized I personally believe that chihuahuas enjoy attention and love from anyone who is willing to give it. Yes, they are good alarm dogs though but settle down quickly. Some are more reserved than others, but to say they are not good family pets because they are a one person dog and will be suspicious of other members of the family is just down right false.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Yorkie Love

Reggin are you kidding?! That evil chi is mauling poor Madison in that last pic! Its just a slow, painful torture because their teeth are so small.

Most people poorly socialize, or do not correctly socialize small dogs leading to generalizations and stereotypes.

I think Chi's may get the worst of it.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Squishy22

You are right poodlemommy!! And such a horrible torture because those teeth may be small but they are darn sharp!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Yorkie Love

By the way that pic is ADORABLE.

i need one of those too, then I can throw out the q-tips.