Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelDog View Post

1. Number one reason for sure. I can't stand high pitched barks, makes my brain hurt. My sister has a shitzu/pom, a sweet, lovable, well behaved, "real" dog. She doesn't bark alot, but when she does OMG, it's worse than finger nails on a blackboard.
I know many small dogs who have a deeper bark than med to larger dogs. Tollers for example can have some of the highest octave barks ever. Kaiden's bark is as deep as your typical lab.

Quote:
2. The bent over at the waist shuffle, to put on lead, wipe feet, get something away from them, etc. I like a dog who's head is within easy reach.
Not really an issue Just teach them to hop up on a chair. And if they are dirty they are MUCH easier to clean and you can pick them up and easily carry them from the door to the tub!

Quote:
3. Breakability. I'm not a klutz, but I worry about tripping over them, stepping on them, etc. They're not as visible. Also I like to play/wrestle with my dogs. Get down on the floor and rumble. It's just not the same with a dog who's 1/16th your size.
I have to say in all honesty I trip over large dogs more often. Sport is in my way more often than the little JRTs. The JRTs move out of your way, I never worry about stepping on them. Sport takes up 1/2 the kitchen and doesn't tend to move. No its not the same if they are small. But its got its own charm.. They will and can do some really fun wresting moves a larger dog can't do.

Quote:
4. I like to take long walks/hikes and go snowshoeing with my dogs, most little ones don't have the stamina.
Paps, JRTs, small poodles etc are likely going to keep up just fine if not better than larger dogs. We had a 120 pound 30 inch tall Newf cross. I have to say he wouldn't have been able to keep up to any of my JRTs.. especially in deep snow.

Quote:
5. Big dogs make better pillows. There's nothing like laying on the couch with your head proped on a big ole warm, curled up dog. They make better foot warmers to.
I agree with the head thing.. Snip makes an ok pillow, but is kinda boney. How ever I LOVE them as foot warmers. Dekka sleeps under the covers up against my feet at night. They throw off sooo much heat but dont' take up 1/2 the bed.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I agree with the head thing.. Snip makes an ok pillow, but is kinda boney. How ever I LOVE them as foot warmers. Dekka sleeps under the covers up against my feet at night. They throw off sooo much heat but dont' take up 1/2 the bed.
That's one big plus about small dogs I forgot. I had four of them in bed last night and was still comfy with plenty of room. It was nice and toasty. Beau is the best feet warmer ever.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I've had 5 at once ranging from 10 pounds to 90 pounds, and I love the size variability. It's so much fun to see them all interact.

All sizes have their own pros and cons. I personally prefer in the 30-50 lb range, still can be a lap dog, but can hold his own. I do, however, enjoy the "protection" of a large dog, and the "portablity" of a smaller dog. I just find it a lot harder to train a tiny dog. I do like that if you do have smaller dogs, it's a lot easier to have multiples, and I LOVE having my own mini pack. Right now we have 3 JRTs and Labx, but they're only equivalent to maybe two large breed dogs.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

HbH you just cracked me up..i adore Hairy Godmother pictures.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
ke a dog who's head is within easy reach.

3. Breakability. I'm not a klutz, but I worry about tripping over them, stepping on them, etc. They're not as visible. Also I like to play/wrestle with my dogs. Get down on the floor and rumble. It's just not the same with a dog who's 1/16th your size.

4. I like to take long walks/hikes and go snowshoeing with my dogs, most little ones don't have the stamina.

http://crazypicz.files.wordpress.com...-on-toilet.jpg
Terriers are TOUGH.(but terriers are solid, shes 20lbs and probly about 14 inches at the shoulder) Friday can stand up to anything, she plays with crazy inmature vizslas.. shes been body slammed too. She cracked her nail and didnt even limp.

Also Friday has out lasted vizsla play sessions. She could run and play all afternoon.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Squishy face

I prefer big dogs. I have a little one here, he's my mom's dog. He's cute, but he's annoying too, with his terrierness. I like to cuddle little dogs in my lap at FOHA, but just prefer to own bigger dogs. In my experience, big dogs are easier to train. Although the best behaved dog in Benji's training class WAS a tiny long-haired dachshund, lol.

I have just always liked the feeling of a big dog draped across my lap. Daisy doesn't cuddle though, so I have to get that from Opie once a week.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Small....

Kiwi is 42lbs...and shes really pushing the size limit for me.

My home is small and I wanted multiple dogs...I could never have so many if they were all *normal* size...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I have both but large ones are my first love. Maybe as I get older I'll switch to tiny ones to make it easier on myself.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

Not really an issue Just teach them to hop up on a chair. And if they are dirty they are MUCH easier to clean and you can pick them up and easily carry them from the door to the tub!
^^My feeble attempt at humour. I had a picture of My Aunt in my head who spent half her life in this position, bent over, shuffling around, saying "here FiFi, here FiFi" over and over again. She never taught them anything

Setter-chick: I know terriers are tough. We had a wire-haired terrier when I was a teenager, plus a standard poodle and my GSD/lab x. She could outrun and out play both of them put together.

Geeez! You people are tough Aren't I allowed to keep any of my misconceptions and biases?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

I like both and have had both, even all at the same time, as you can see in my avatar. As far as hiking, I live in a hiking heaven in north Idaho and my little Chihuahuas have always hiked with me when I had my Lab and Doberman. Some of those hikes were all day hikes upwards of 9 or 10 miles through the woods. The Chi's could at times run circles around the bigger dogs and were more adept at circumventing obstacles such as downed trees that had branches all over the place. They're very manuverable and agile and can fit through small places. When they run fast, they're a blur. So stamina in large part is dependent on conditioning.

At my age now, I like dogs I can pick up easily. And like it was said, I don't trip over them because unlike my larger dogs, they take it as a big responsibility for themselves to watch out and they scamper right out of the way in a heart beat whenever I'm moving around. My bigger dogs would just stand there like, "duh..." until I told them, "excuse me."

As far as barking, Chihuahuas are notorious yappers. But that's because a lot of people don't teach their dogs. Mine only bark when someone comes to the door or for some other thing they hear outside which alarms them. And they are rather easily alarmed and have very keen hearing. (great watch dogs) It is rather high pitched but it's not as loud as Toker's. She has a very loud, sharp bark that makes me jump out of my skin. I can get Jose` to bark on cue and they both stop when I tell them, "enough." So, the barking is not much of a problem. Training, IMO, a cued bark and a cued "quiet" or "enough" is essential but that goes for any dog that barks a lot.

Most of the points were already made such as ease with traveling, bathing etc. They're clean, not too hairy (the smooth coated Chi's or other breeds). They're cozy enough to sleep with without hogging the bed. There are all kinds of reasons small dogs appeal to me even though I also like big dogs, but for my life style now-a-days, I will probably stick with small dogs, depending on breed of course. I like Poodles, Chi's and other breeds which are quite dependent, like Giny was saying. That's probably why I loved my Doberman too....exceedingly enthralled with me. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson