Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
:( only one :(

I like many breeds but I have a larger amount of smaller breeds on the list then big ones. Actually, the list isn't really all that big , there isn't many breeds that I'd want to own. Not that I don't like them or find them beautiful, just many breed personality don't appeal to me.

I just like poodle personalities, they fit me like a glove...and it doesn't matter the size, big or small.

I groom many breeds, love them all but I couldn't see myself wanting some of them, some are just way to independent for my liking. I love clingy dogs.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
^^ I think that's a misconception though. The dog with the most stamina I know is my uncle's JRT and I bet she could run just about any large breed dog into the ground with ease. .
I know, JRTs for sure and some others. I was thinking more along the lines of Yorkie, Shitzu, Pom, etc. However, my cousin has JRTs and even they have a hard time in the 3-4 feet of snow we get around here (sometimes more). BTW, your paps are gorgeous, I've never seen one in real life

Giny: dog is sweet, barky bark, not so much. The picture is kinda creepy, but I think it's a composite or fake.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm on a boat..

We both like both small and larger dogs and will always have at least one of each
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Twin 2.0

I like the bigger dogs myself for the reasons already listed, in addition to the "security" factor. Aussies have it all for me and if I want a "small" dog, I'll just get a female. They can get pretty itsy while still being in standard.

That being said, I've been completely taken in by Paps and would love to own one some day...but they seem more like "super-compact" Border Collies than your typical toy dog.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelDog View Post
I know, JRTs for sure and some others. I was thinking more along the lines of Yorkie, Shitzu, Pom, etc. However, my cousin has JRTs and even they have a hard time in the 3-4 feet of snow we get around here (sometimes more). BTW, your paps are gorgeous, I've never seen one in real life

Giny: dog is sweet, barky bark, not so much. The picture is kinda creepy, but I think it's a composite or fake.
Often the JRT can run along the top of the snow and the BC (and humans) have to flounder through

THere are lots of paps around Ont.. just come on out to some agility trials, or obed matches.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Small all the way!
My reasons:

**very portable. Their crates are small, the beds are small--they are easy to pick up and easy to put anywhere. You can put them in a backpack, you can fit 2-4 of them in one medium sized crate (for transport etc)--no straining under their weight. This added portability makes it much easier to take them more places.

**they eat less and have smaller poops

**they are easier to bathe as if small enough you can even wash them in the sink so no stooping or being on your knees

**they are cute (ok I'm biased)

I have to disagree on one point that has been brought up over and over about high pitched yaps--my dogs both rarely bark---the only time they let out a bark or two is when the doorbell rings or if the neighbors dogs are out when they are out (the neighbors yave yorkies--talk about a constant yap)--I really think it's training that makes a difference--there are border collies and hound that like the bark all day and there are dachsunds that like to bark all day--but that it not the rule for any of these breeds obivously!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i vary soo much, my top 4 faves are chis (tiny) cresties (small) staffies (medium) and danes (xlarge)
i look more for personality, look and "purpose"
Right now the cresties fit me prefectly, size wise there compact but not so small as to be breakable when full grown (jasper is still "under foot size" lol), but there small enough to easily transport in a small car, and its nice to have dogs where both of them can curl up on you at the same time and you dont feel like your being crushed....(right now i have ruby half in my lap, jasper on my shoulder and my laptop still fits!)
there active and love to play but quiet in the house and they are not typically "toy barkers" they have a suprising bark for a little dog thats more of a yodel/bay than a yip yip type bark.

i love small dogs simply because they are "easy" when it comes to all aspects of living an active life small dogs are just so much simpler...the only thing ive foudn to slow down most toy breeds is snow thats talledr than them...you have to keep in mind many of the smaller breeds are part Terrier and were bred to live active lives hunting rats and mice who are incredibly sneaky and fast, these little dogs can hike for miles, but there also perfectly content curling up on the couch or zooming round the living room...
you can take them pretty much anywhere...most places that do have restrictions are based on size...little dogs dont have the problem...
taking them in the car does NOT take up my entire back seat, infact their carseat takes up one seat and both will fit comfortably once jasper is big enough to ride in the seat. no need for an suv filled with crates!
a small bag of food lasts alot longer, and generally everything is less expensive when done in smaller sizes/amounts...

however there are some cons...
people assume my little dogs arnt "real dogs" simply based on size...despite the fact ruby can outrun a rabbit with ease, can climb treas and catches chipmonks without a problem and she loves getting dirty! how does that make her "not real"
you have to bend down...

with big dogs its the same thing, theres sooo many pros and cons...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Big Dog

[QUOTE=HoundedByHounds;1357789]I have both...probably with always have some size variety because it is amusing to watch.

Beagles are one of my exceptions for sure. I adore them. I posted some of your pictures on another thread explaining how I got interested in Chazhound in the first place. For weeks I was checking everyday for new pictures of Laverne and Shirley, started looking around and decided to join. If there's anything in this world cuter than a beagle pup, I've yet to see it.

BTW, when I posted those pictures I should have quoted to show who they belonged to. I won't do it again, promise.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
Small all the way!
My reasons:

**very portable. Their crates are small, the beds are small--they are easy to pick up and easy to put anywhere. You can put them in a backpack, you can fit 2-4 of them in one medium sized crate (for transport etc)--no straining under their weight. This added portability makes it much easier to take them more places.

**they eat less and have smaller poops

**they are easier to bathe as if small enough you can even wash them in the sink so no stooping or being on your knees

**they are cute (ok I'm biased)

I have to disagree on one point that has been brought up over and over about high pitched yaps--my dogs both rarely bark---the only time they let out a bark or two is when the doorbell rings or if the neighbors dogs are out when they are out (the neighbors yave yorkies--talk about a constant yap)--I really think it's training that makes a difference--there are border collies and hound that like the bark all day and there are dachsunds that like to bark all day--but that it not the rule for any of these breeds obivously!

My dogs are not barkers either. When I had a Malamute, she howled when left alone, so that was definitely a big problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Thank you for your promise I am glad you enjoyed their pictures. They have many fans around the net it would seem LOL.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/