Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Big Dog

Default Big dogs or little dogs, do you prefer one over the other?

I love all dogs but have always had a preference for big short coated dogs. Some of the reasons I don't have little dogs:

1. Number one reason for sure. I can't stand high pitched barks, makes my brain hurt. My sister has a shitzu/pom, a sweet, lovable, well behaved, "real" dog. She doesn't bark alot, but when she does OMG, it's worse than finger nails on a blackboard.

2. The bent over at the waist shuffle, to put on lead, wipe feet, get something away from them, etc. I like a dog who's head is within easy reach.

3. Breakability. I'm not a klutz, but I worry about tripping over them, stepping on them, etc. They're not as visible. Also I like to play/wrestle with my dogs. Get down on the floor and rumble. It's just not the same with a dog who's 1/16th your size.

4. I like to take long walks/hikes and go snowshoeing with my dogs, most little ones don't have the stamina.

5. Big dogs make better pillows. There's nothing like laying on the couch with your head proped on a big ole warm, curled up dog. They make better foot warmers to.

That's not to say there aren't some things I like about little dogs. Many of them are fiesty with big dog attitude and a lot of them are just too cute for words. Other things come to mind such as:

1. Portability. No matter how well trained your dog is (mine anyway) they still have their moments. Middle of the night, -25celsius, three feet of snow, potty is done, but buddy decides he just not ready to go back in. I can see how it would be much less frustrating to just pick em up and throw them in the house. (just kidding about the throwing, really!)

2. Once, just once I'd like to know what it feels like to stretch my legs all the way out on the couch. I'm getting too old to have permanently cramped knees.

3. It would be nice once in awhile to have a dog in your lap that actually fits without getting your breath/circulation cut off and your boobs squished.

4. Smaller poop. Self explanatory. Maybe next time I'll get me one of these:

http://crazypicz.files.wordpress.com...-on-toilet.jpg
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 AM
:( only one :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelDog View Post
I love all dogs but have always had a preference for big short coated dogs. Some of the reasons I don't have little dogs:

1. Number one reason for sure. I can't stand high pitched barks, makes my brain hurt. My sister has a shitzu/pom, a sweet, lovable, well behaved, "real" dog. She doesn't bark alot, but when she does OMG, it's worse than finger nails on a blackboard.
What, you mean you don't like these sweet little barky bark? LOL You can thank my son for this video.

ETA: ROFL, I just looked at that picture....too funny. Kind of creepy at the same time. lol
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

medium to large for me for all of the reasons stated.
Good grief i had to hit the speaker off quick. I don't like barking at all but high pitched like that is intolerable.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

I, too, prefer big dogs. Mainly for all the reasons stated. That said, I would really, really like to have a Powder Puff Chinese Crested one day- just have to convince my husband.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't really think about size much when it comes to preferences. I think more along the lines of temperament, overall look, and what traits I want in a dog. The things I like tend to be found mostly in mediumish breeds, though some small breeds as well. My favorite breeds are pretty all over the place size wise, though most are medium (20-60 lbs). Size is probably the last thing I think of when I'm looking at breeds.

So yeah, can't say I like small breeds better because there are a few toy breeds I just adore and others are among my least favorite breeds. Just depends. There are benefits and disadvantages to both large and small dogs. I've had both and I don't think there's as much of a difference as people seem to think there is.

Quote:
4. I like to take long walks/hikes and go snowshoeing with my dogs, most little ones don't have the stamina.
^^ I think that's a misconception though. The dog with the most stamina I know is my uncle's JRT and I bet she could run just about any large breed dog into the ground with ease. I also have toy dogs and we hike a lot. Summer and I do a few miles a day when I'm at school.

Last edited by Laurelin; 04-01-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Chihuahua Power!

One would assume that I prefer small dogs... the truth is, there are actually only a couple of toy breeds that I would ever own.

Like Laurelin, temperament and look is most important to me. I like high energy, headstrong breeds... haha.

My favorite breed is obviously the chihuahua. The only other toy breed I would consider is probably a papillon.

My two other favorite breeds are the nova scotia duck tolling retriever, and the border collie. I'm actually pretty picky when it comes to breeds I like.

So, I guess I prefer small to medium sized dogs... I couldn't see myself owning a large breed (except I've considered owning a Dobe in the far future).

By the way, my chis LOVE going on long walks/hikes... they can GO GO GO forever, it seems. We're planning on going back to TN and getting another cabin late spring this year, and I can't wait to bring them on hikes and out into the woods... they love being outdoors and are so active.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Top Dog

Big dogs here too ! That's quite a bothersome yap !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm All Ears

Really, the only toy breeds I could see myself owning are papillons, Cresties (probably only powder puffs), and Chis. The rest just aren't my cup of tea. My other favorite breeds are the herders- bcs, aussies, shelties, pyr sheps, and GSDs. I plan on having a herd of paps and at least one herding dog in the future.

Last edited by Laurelin; 04-01-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh, it's *you*

I have both...probably with always have some size variety because it is amusing to watch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

I like both. I have small dogs now because that is easier when moving frequently since landlords are more likely to allow them.