Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Island dweller

Default Terrified to clip

I was just about to clip Nanook's claws but the last time I did Mikey I made him yelp. I didn't cut the quick but I think I pinched it. Nanook has super long nails plus they are white so I could see the quick clearly I just freaked myself out. I don't want to ruin her. Now she's getting free peanut butter
Old 08-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Are you dead yet?

With dogs that have really long, white nails I just clip about 1/8" in front of the quick - it doesn't get close enough to pinch anything, but it does get them nice and short. White nails are so easy, the only time I've ever quicked a white nail was when the dog thrashed around just as I clipped the nail. (Make sure you have styptic powder, btw. Otherwise it's a huge mess if you cut the quick.)

If Nanook is scared of having her nails clipped, you might want to have someone distract her while you do it. (Have them hold her head, praise her and bait her with something yummy)
If you do quick the nail, I don't think it'll "ruin" Nanook. One little nip of the quick can be easily forgotten with a good distraction and a few treats.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Island dweller

She was distracted with peanut butter lol. It was me. All in my head. I could see where the quick was and wasn't even close to it. <sigh> Well, I'll have her spayed with my second paycheque and have them clip her for me.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Taco Dog

When I was still taking my grooming course, I was at home and decided to use Precious as my "practice dog." Poor poor Precious. I was trying to clip her nails and thought I was far enough away from the quick, but I wasn't. It bled only a little, but I felt soooooo bad and I cried for the longest. Of course, that might have had a little something to do with the fact that she head butted me in the chin while being bathed.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Big Dog

I find it quite nerveracking. But, I've had 2 dogs in a row with black nails, so that contributes!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I W A L R

Both of our dogs...Sheba crossed over onto the Bridge....Well, they both have black nails, and we once cut the quick on Sheba and she yelped......I felt so bad for her and petted her...Whenever we cut Wendy's nails, I always remember this picture in a dog book of where the quick ends...I tell my dad "Just to right there..."
Old 08-24-2005, 06:47 AM
BusterLove

Sophie doesnt like it when we cut her nails, so we let the vet do it once and he made her BLEED. naturally we havnt been near that vet since, but he was the only one in town before and much to rough, even with large animals. he picked buster up once to put him on the table and slammed his stomach into the table!!!