Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

I meant your whelping box , supplies , etc . I'm confused whether or not it was a planned breeding as to your questions .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
umm an internet forum isn't the most ideal place to get help with something as complicated as a first whelp. You really should have someone who can IN PERSON help you out in case anything goes awry...the person who sold you your dogs should be helping you thru it and answering your questions. That is what they are for...support and help.

You can ask here all you want and we'll answer you...but when she is straining and that pup isn't moving none of us will be there to help you...so please do make an effort to befriend someone experienced in your area to help you with actual in real life, hands on assistance.

If you need names, let me know. I do know Beaglers in Canada.
The thing I don't understand, is how do you know that I don't already have a mentor? What if I was just curious as to other peoples ways of doing things?
Why does it feel like you are talking down on me without even knowing the necessary details?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I meant your whelping box , supplies , etc . I'm confused whether or not it was a planned breeding as to your questions .

I only asked one question.....which is related to humans getting too close to a mothers puppies. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh, it's *you*

The person who sold you your bitch, they'd be a really great person to ask about your bitch. They had her dam most likely? How was she? How did she whelp and act post whelp? Any problems? Invaluable info to know. Definitely seek that out.

Quote:
The reason I ask is if my bitch needs an extra hand when delivering, I would like to know what to expect in regards to me being too close

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Then to answer your question ..... depends on the bitch and your relationship with her .

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Then to answer your question ..... depends on the bitch and your relationship with her .

What she said. *nods*
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Just try me..

Yep agrees with above.

But you really need to be talking to your breeder. She/he will know the lines best, and what the mom was like.

There are too many variables for this to be a good question for internet forums. Riley who didnt' like people near the pups for the first few days was fine with help during labour. But you didn't ask that. Sometimes talking to a mentor will help as they will answer questions you haven't thought to ask yet.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
The thing I don't understand, is how do you know that I don't already have a mentor? What if I was just curious as to other peoples ways of doing things?
Why does it feel like you are talking down on me without even knowing the necessary details?

That was just the impression I had as well, after reading you were unsure of what was meant by the whelping setup ... NO ONE was even remotely talking down on you ... that would have been more along the lines of "your bitch shouldn't have been bred", etc. That wasn't the tone of the posts, at all.

To answer your question, no none of my bitches have ever been aggro or nippy with me at all. I had one who delivered her first litter last year who was a bit nervous the first few days after whelping. There was no aggression but she was eyeing me suspiciously & wasn't too thrilled I was feeding her pups - think she got insulted about it, lol. She got over it, though, and even allowed another bitch in her whelping box. So it REALLY depends on the indivigual temperament of your bitch.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Agree ! When IB ( Bubba's Mom ) has having her second litter Bubba was a mess outside the door to where she was whelping . I didn't want her upset , but brought him out , tethered him and let him watch . The second day he was helping her clean the pups , much to her joy ! He loved babies !

Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Puppy Dog

^^^^^ OMG! My males LOVE babies, too! I have one (intact) male who will even clean the pups in the whelping box The other males are great with the pups, but it amazes me how this one is so ... maternal, lol. They all get very offended if I don't show them the babies after they're whelped ... even the kennel dogs seem to know something is going on, they all will throw a fit if I don't let them see EVERY pup after it's born