Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

First of all , I knew everyone I sold to very well and they knew how I felt about breeding . None cared to breed and I did have in my contract that no dog would be bred before 2 years of age and COMPLETE health checks . I was proud of my pedigrees full of Champions and so were the new owners . Had any bred , they would have chosen the best mates .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Just try me..

But that was back then.. (there was no limited reg back then was there?) This is now. Trust me contracts do little when it comes to dictating what people can and cannot do with the dog they have purchased from you. (in other words if they do breed there is nothing you can do)
Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Very true .... a long time ago .

Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 PM
overdogged

i have a friend who seriously contemplated breeding her golden but couldn't find anyone with a female that she considered good enough to breed him to who would have him because he was sold on a limited registration and the pups would not be able to be papered. so yes, it does stop some people.

for better or for worse, akc registered is very much a "brand name" that would-be puppy buyers look for. if i were a breeder, i'd sell my pet quality pups under limited registration.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

thats true. "AKC" is something most puppy buyers look for, its like the designer tag on a purse. people love pedigrees
people with limited reg realize that w/o akc papers.. they might have problems selling pups
Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Big Dog

My dog's breeder had my dog registered with a limited AKC registration but after we picked our pup out, she asked us to please not neuter the dog, as she felt that he was show quality. I agreed to this, of course, but I guess she would have to change the paperwork if she wants him to be shown or bred for AKC?

I've not ever shown a dog; but I've been to a couple of dog shows. I'm not sure if, at this point in time I can get into the "show" scene for Aussies.

Has anyone gone from pet owner to being a show person.....with any success or otherwise?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundMusic View Post
All it does, however, is prevent a litter from being registered with AKC, but it doesn't stop someone from being able to breed and register with any other pet registry out there.
Right. Nothing will stop somebody who is determined to breed behind your back. Absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundMusic View Post
would it be better for them to have AKC papers
No. Why would you want your dogs and your line to be associated with a poor breeding? Why would it be "better" to allow them to breed dogs who, for at least one reason, are not breedworthy, and then to allow them to register with the AKC?
Or, more simply, why should you make it that much easier to allow them to break your contract..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie
Has anyone gone from pet owner to being a show person.....with any success or otherwise?
I would guess that, outside of the handful of people who are born into families that show/work their dogs/breed... MOST people go from being "just" a pet owner to showing. =>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

In my case , many of my return buyers had kids that wanted to show . You never know what's ahead !

Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
But that was back then.. (there was no limited reg back then was there?) This is now. Trust me contracts do little when it comes to dictating what people can and cannot do with the dog they have purchased from you. (in other words if they do breed there is nothing you can do)
They do if you only let the pup on unlimited registration go on a co-ownership.

One breeder who's dogs I am seriously looking into does this. It's pretty awesome, because she puts in the contract that as co-owner she has to approve any breedings, has a list of required health tests that must be passed for both sire and dam before a breeding, and the mate being picked for the breeding must be approved by her. If the contract is violated, she has the right to regain full ownership. So, if someone did take one of her dogs and try to breed it willy nilly she could technically go and pick it up as it would become hers. Also, I think as the co-owner she has to sign off on papers for any litters.

I don't know if someone can dual register a co-owned dog with another registry as being owned by one person, without the co-owners signature either.

It seems like a pretty good system to me also, because nobody knows a breeder's lines better than they do, and so if you are planning to breed one of their dogs then they are the best person to go to for opinions when looking for a suitable match.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Water Junkie

In AKC, does Limited Registration mean they must be s/n by a certain age?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l