Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Limited VS. Full Registration for Pet Pups?

For the breeders here, I have a nagging question that's been bothering me. When you sell a pup to a pet home, do you give the owners AKC limited or full registration? What is your reasoning behind why you either sell on full/limited reg?

Reason I ask is that my pet quality pups are sold on a reasonable spay/neuter contract, wherein my health guarantee is voided if the pup is not altered within the specified time period (currently within 8 months of sale). When I started breeding a few years ago, I was using alternate registries & UKC, neither of which offer an option for limited/non breeding papers. So it was very important to have soemthing as rock solid as possible to assure the pet pups would be altered, to not simply rely on limited registration papers.

I am leaning towards doing all pups on full registration on the spay/neuter contract. I also require proof of the procedure, a Vet bill stating the dogs name/date/procedure or a note from the Vet. Thus far, I've had a very high rate of having the proof of altering being returned. So I am not even sure if Limited registration is either necessary or effective. If someone really wanted to breed a pup, they could easily register with UKC or the dozens of "pet" registries, none of which recognize AKC's limited papers. So if someone IS going to sneak behind my back and breed, wouldn't it be better off it they had the full AKC papers instead of going with an alternate registry?

Just me pondering things & thinking out loud ... technically I've never before sold pet pups on papers that would limit registering of pups, so not really sure what to think on this one Opinions are appreciated!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundMusic View Post
For the breeders here, I have a nagging question that's been bothering me. When you sell a pup to a pet home, do you give the owners AKC limited or full registration? What is your reasoning behind why you either sell on full/limited reg?

Reason I ask is that my pet quality pups are sold on a reasonable spay/neuter contract, wherein my health guarantee is voided if the pup is not altered within the specified time period (currently within 8 months of sale). When I started breeding a few years ago, I was using alternate registries & UKC, neither of which offer an option for limited/non breeding papers. So it was very important to have soemthing as rock solid as possible to assure the pet pups would be altered, to not simply rely on limited registration papers.

I am leaning towards doing all pups on full registration on the spay/neuter contract. I also require proof of the procedure, a Vet bill stating the dogs name/date/procedure or a note from the Vet. Thus far, I've had a very high rate of having the proof of altering being returned. So I am not even sure if Limited registration is either necessary or effective. If someone really wanted to breed a pup, they could easily register with UKC or the dozens of "pet" registries, none of which recognize AKC's limited papers. So if someone IS going to sneak behind my back and breed, wouldn't it be better off it they had the full AKC papers instead of going with an alternate registry?
In today's society I believe the more protection the better. Limited registration just means that the dog can't be shown. Dogs can and do still participate in every other dog event.
If a dog isn't for breeding, it makes sense not to send it out with full breeding rights (full registration). If someone breeds a dog that is not breeding quality, I do not think it is better they have full registration.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Lord Cynical

IMO, all pet quality puppies should be sold on Limited Registration. Why does a pet owner need anything more than limited?

Ilsa was a limited registration dog. No problems.
Ronin and Kaylee are, obviously, full registration dogs.
Ada is on full registration, but not by my choice. I would have rather had her on Limited.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh, I agree a pet owner shouldn't require anything more than limited papers. All it does, however, is prevent a litter from being registered with AKC, but it doesn't stop someone from being able to breed and register with any other pet registry out there. Now, my buyers are checked & double checked, screened, interviewed. So that drastically reduces the risk that you are selling to someone who wants to breed behind your back. I get maybe 99% of the pet people to return proof of altering. My concern is that if someone does slip through the cracks and tries to breed behing my back, would it be better for them to have AKC papers or go with an alternate registry - APRI, ConKC, UABR, etc. and find not so great or outright genetic junk to breed to.

Thanks for the suggestions tho! It's true, the more brick walls you put up the better ...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Just try me..

For my breeds there is no such thing as limited registration.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Oh, I agree a pet owner shouldn't require anything more than limited papers. All it does, however, is prevent a litter from being registered with AKC, but it doesn't stop someone from being able to breed and register with any other pet registry out there.
Very true. But as you know, a spay.neuter contract doesn't prevent it either, sadly.

I don't necessarily agree with spay/neuter contracts (especially in my breed, when it's nice to see dogs fully mature before they're altered) but I understand they're a necessity for some.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

If you sell show quality dogs then they should have full registration .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

the breeder im going to has this guarentee.. it starts out limited but if you do certain things you can have it switched to full

"All pups are sold with AKC Limited (non-breeding) Registration. We will gladly upgrade registration to Full (breeding) Registration once the dog has reached a minimum of 2 years of age and has passed basic tests of breeding suitability. This includes passing hip/elbow evaluations and working title or certification. The only exception to this policy is for pups sold outside the USA where Full AKC registration is required in order to obtain kennel club registration in the customer's home country."
Old 03-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
If you sell show quality dogs then they should have full registration .
Why? (gratuitous white next)
Old 03-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Resident fainting goat

but with full registration, iresponsible people can breed the dogs they brought from you to anyone they please that has AKC papers