Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think if done responsibily, shipping is a great way to get puppies to new loving owners.
i think its more about screening who they are shipping to! if all it takes is a credit card payment and your name and adress to get a puppy.. then its probably not a very good breeder

i love that i can look at breeders from all over the country and find the RIGHT breeder not just a close breeder.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

Most of you know how I feel ....good breeders don't need to advertise on line .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Water Junkie

Yes, I'd agree with those that said good breeders will ship. I've known many breeders who will

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Most of you know how I feel ....good breeders don't need to advertise on line .
Grammy, some of the borzoi breeders I was talking about who do ship don't have websites, or advertise online.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Personally I don't see a thing wrong with advertising or having a website on line. Plans for my next litter have been on my website for months now. If people don't know what you are planning they may not contact you about a puppy. I like to make breeding plans known well in advance so I can collect a list of outstanding homes for the potential puppies before the breeding takes place. Getting a list together early also gives me time to get to know people I may not have had a close relationship with before they expressed interest in a puppy. It also depends on what frequency one is breeding. One litter every year or two is one thing, but if someone is actively showing and breeding several litters a year, advertising can be an important and valuable tool in finding the right homes for the puppies.

JMO as always.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Big Dog

Well my dog was shipped to me and I certainly felt the breeder was a good breeder. I still do. My puppy is now 18 months old and she (my breeder) is still interested in how he is doing. Communications did not quit once she had my money. If I had not had a good experience then I would never ever have a dog shipped again. Since all went well, I am thinking about another pup from her at some point. I agree that shipping is not a lone qualifier to a good or bad breeder. It is something to think about when looking at potential breeders though. I think it is scary when people call a number or get on a website place an order, pay with credit card and have a puppy shipped. That is NOT a good breeder. IMO
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Just try me..

In these days of internet info.. you would be stupid IMO not to have a website. How else are you going to combat the puppymillers and online sellers? If the average dog owner can't find you then they will go to a bad breeder.

Heck even the breed clubs have online listings of the registered breeders (which in no way implies being good)

Grammy you say people should call the breed club. But the thing is MANY of the breeders on their lists will be sketchy. All you have to do is pay your money and there you are. I would rather have a website where I can list all my dog's titles and accomplishments as well as health tests. When I go looking for a pup or breeder infoI ALWAYS check out the website. If there is no website I would likely pass.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Shipping or not shipping puppies IMO is not a way to tell a responsible caring breeder from one who isn't.
Well said and I agree with you.

Quote:
I have shipped puppies before. I almost certainly will again, however, only to KNOWN well screened parties.
Me too. Although I prefer not to ship, my pups go to the best matching family regardless of their location. It's funny though that I have had people drive all the way to Georgia from Ontario, Michigan, Virginia, and numerous other "all day long drives" to come pick up their puppies.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Top Dog

I would say yes there are good breeders who ship. Sometimes its just economical to drive across country for your puppy. Any good breeder is going to talk extensivly with their puppy people BEFORE shipping.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Love my pets

I don't think shipping determines if a breeder is good or not. One of our dogs came from California and we lived in Connecticut. There was no way we were going to drive cross country.