Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

Default Do Good Breeders Ship??

I was at a local BMD event over the weekend along with many BMD Breeders. I don't know how the discussion got started, but a heated debate regarding shipping puppies to their new owners arose. Somer breeders said they were happy to ship their pups to their new homes, but most declared that it was the sign of a "shady breeder," and not acceptable. Most stated that a "Good Breeder" would demand a meeting with prospective owners at a minimum, preferably at the owners home - but they would NEVER ship. What is the concensus here?

...for the record, the breeder I got Bodi from does ship on occasion, but prefers meeting the owners in person. We were part of the whole process from beginning to end, paying many visits to our breeder's home.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I think it depends.

If they ship out to just anyone, then no I don't think that they're a good breeder.

However, If they know the person(ie another breeder who wants to bring your lines into theirs, but happens to live on the other side of the country), a show person(confirmation, agility, herding, whatever) that you know of through the show community and generally like, a recommendation from someone who you highly respect or trust, or someone you happen to know or have gotten to know very well... then I see no problem with it.

I think the real key is finding out who it is that you're shipping too. IMO the true sign of a good breeder is finding the BEST homes they can for their puppies, sometimes that's not always just around the corner.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

I've only shipped one but knew the owner and it was a direct 1 1/2 flight . I would never sell without knowing the person .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Salty Sea Dog

to some random person the breeder doesnt know at all with no dealings other than via email...? then no its not ethical

however i do think it can be done ethically...
it requires ALOT more work on the breeders part, reference checking, lots of time talking on the phone ect...
personally i couldnt do it unless i knew the person well physically...BUT i dont belive shipping automatically makes a breeder bad...
i do think theres an extreem amout of extra screening work needed to do it correctly though.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Taxiderpy

A lot of really good borzoi breeders ship. They aren't common dogs and if nobody shipped it would make things kind of difficult.

Anyway, most of them require a home check which they can get some other trusted member of the borzoi club that lives in the area to do for them.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I agree with the other replies in this thread. Smudge was shipped to me. I spent a year talking to his breeder, we have a mutual friend. Got the breeder's lines into another country and to someone who wanted to do interests different than her own so hopefully it diversifies her lines some if we succeed.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Just try me..

Bounce and Dash weren't shipped. But we knew that I was going down to get one, there was no home check or even that much conversation. We have a mutual friend who is very well respected who knows our dogs and sees what we do with them.

I could have had Barb pick one and bring it back for us.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Active Pup

Pixel was shipped to me from Florida! I had never met her breeder, but we talked over email and phone a lot- also I had great references- my vet, dog friends, and we have some mutual "blogger" friends.

Also when I was working with rescue we would ship rescue dogs without meeting people- again references, home checks, and lots of talking on the phone made things easy.

So I agree that it would depend on how it is done.

Boone : Boone RA, AADC

Vito : Couch potato and foot warmer

Pixel : Cornerstones on Second Thought CD CGN RE SHDX AGXS AGJNS MAD AGDC MJDC MSDC

Brit: Rescue In training

http://manymuddypaws.blogspot.com
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Shipping or not shipping puppies IMO is not a way to tell a responsible caring breeder from one who isn't.

I have shipped puppies before. I almost certainly will again, however, only to KNOWN well screened parties.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Shipping or not shipping puppies IMO is not a way to tell a responsible caring breeder from one who isn't.
Agreed.
I have had a puppy shipped to me from a reputable/responsible breeder. I was well screened before hand and had waited and was on a list for over a year for the puppy.