Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Top Dog

Working in a boarding kennel the noisest dogs I get in are Husky's, Lab's, Shelties, all hunting dogs, terriers.
The best advise I can give it to adopt an adult this way you know if the dog is a barker. With my dogs my Rottweiler never barks unless there is a reason to...like a car coming in the driveway....but, friends of mine with Rotties have a problem with their Rotties barking non stop. My Dobe barks occasionally. My female Newfoundland's bark quite a bit, my male rarely barks. So, you cannot even judge how much a dog will bark just by it's breed. I have had some breeds that are known to be barkers in for boarding and never let out a peep. So, it varies greatly from dog to dog.
It also depends on how you react, if your dog barks and the owner says "who's that" in that questioning voice...for some dogs this reinforces the barking behavior as they have been praised for it.
Don't just depend on breed type...although, there are breeds that you know are just yapping machines. Especially my worst nightmare the American Eskimo dog...my sister will not even take these dogs in for grooming any more (she is a great groomer and can pick and choose her grooms). I have gotten a headache from just being around one of these dogs for 20 minutes.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 AM
no touchy

May my Lab rarely barks...but I have met a lot of barky Labs. Bichon Frises don't bark much, my neighbor's never barked in the how many years that they lived next to us.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 AM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
dogs less likely to bark? hmm, as a very general rule, stay away from herding breeds, most terriers and hounds (baying/howling).
Tippy (border collie and shepherd, mostly collie) doesn't bark too much, but when she's excited or happy, she barks hard, strong and long!! She also wooowooowooos. Colby (canaan dog and terrier) could break someone's eardrum.....
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Walks into Mordor

My blackmouth cur is the quietest dog I've ever owned. He NEVER barks, not even to go outside. The most I've heard from him is the occassional play-yip when playing with my husband. Absolutely horrible as a watchdog, but I'm pretty sure the neighbors appreciate the quiet.

I've heard that sighthounds, like Borzois and greyhounds, are relatively quiet. I wouldn't know for sure, having never owned one, but maybe one of those will work.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Are you dead yet?

Bored herding breeds are some of the noisiest things on the face of the earth, I definitely second the suggestion to stay away from them unless you can provide them with a good deal of stimulation. Certain breeds just like to make noise ie: Shelties, Poms, Scenthounds, JRTs, Eskies, etc.

Gaddy I've noticed that about Bichons, some seemed very quiet and rather demure while others were loud and positively insane - It probably varies greatly between lines - I'm really not sure which is correct for the breed, though.

Shiba Inus are a quiet breed, in fact I don't believe I've ever heard a Shiba bark - but I have had rather limited experience with them, I have never owned one.
A lot of sighthounds are very quiet dogs as well - if you can handle them (I would never recommend a sighthound for someone who doesn't want to take a lot of time to "understand" their dog) they would be a good choice too.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

I have not known any Shiba Inus, but remember reading a couple of articles on them and they also seem like quite a handful. Perhaps someone on this forum has more information on them.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

I would just get a breed that barks about the average amount of time and train it not to bark.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Basenjis pur

Hi,
basenjis dont bark and it is not their nature to. Then pur but not very often. They are very quite around the house.

Susi
Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Tobys mom

Sorry again but yes I agree with her. You can train a dog not to bark. thats also a good idea. Susi
Old 08-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

Pugs rarely ever bark...it takes a lot to wake mine up and get them going