Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

My husky doens't bark but she kinda yodels and it is often worse than a bark. She'll do it for a long time too. I can't really think of somehting that doesn't bark a lot! Ourlabs never barked but the ones I took in a couple months ago bark all the time. I'm sure you could find an adult dog that doesn't bark a lot from a shelter or something.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Snow Girl

OC and Ronin never bark except for on command. They do wooo wooo when we come home but it's a lot more pleasant to listen to than a bark. Multiple sibes tend to create a ruckus as they talk back and forth and if one picks up a how; the rest automatically chime in. Just one lone sibe thuogh tends to be quiet - which is partially why we chose this breed. Soooooooooo quiet!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Snow Girl

wanted to add...

I'm actually so unaccustomed to dogs barking now that if someone has an overly yappy dog i get annoyed by it LOL

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Kelpiefied

I've trained a load of basenji's, great little dogs. But, although they don't bark they sure as hell make a noise! I'd liken it to the weird vocalisations that siamese cats love to do all day.
I've met alot of people with basenjis as pets, and they usually call me in for escaping problems. They are great climbers. They are also very fastidious cleaners, they lick themselves all over just like cats! They really are unique dogs. All of the poeple I have met love them to bits, and usually have multiple basenjis.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Twin 2.0

Don't get a basenji. Just don't. Yeah, they don't bark, but they make a ton of other noises which are just about as bad and may even get the cops called on you. They can sound just like a woman screaming and "Basenji noises" aren't the first thing most people will think of. Worst case senario, yes, but there are odd people out there.

I personally, and this is solely my opinion, despise this breed and usually have issues with the people who own them as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Big German Shepherd

Boxers aren't big barkers that I know of. I don't think bully breeds are big barkers.

Great Pyrenees' in my experience don't ever bark. But I mean, all dogs bark.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Twin 2.0

I've heard a GP bark once, but it was for a darn good reason. Dark night and something shifty in the woods was coming closer. Very deep and commanding bark I might add. But yeah, they're generally quiet.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
Boxers aren't big barkers that I know of. I don't think bully breeds are big barkers.

Great Pyrenees' in my experience don't ever bark. But I mean, all dogs bark.
I have had 3 Boxers, none of whom were barkers. I now have a Bulldog and she is not a barker either. Perhaps there is some truth in that.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Are you dead yet?

Just some input on the noise Basenjis make: If they voice their "opinion" on something they do not like, it sounds like a mixture of a cat screeching, a woman screaming and a car crash.
I had a 'Senji for a little while, I found her on the side of the road, and while she was a really sweet little dog, "Quiet" is the LAST word I would use to describe her - I'd rather have listened to a normal dog barking than that horrid noise.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:49 AM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
it sounds like a mixture of a cat screeching, a woman screaming and a car crash
rofl that's a great description!

dogs less likely to bark? hmm, as a very general rule, stay away from herding breeds, most terriers and hounds (baying/howling).
- Product Research

I've been frosted!