Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Oh so greyhound rescues want $300 a dog... And honestly, I can't pay that all in one go right now! I could easily pay for food and vets (They're pretty reasonable in my area) but that's a tad much to rescue for me. So we'll be shelter shopping sometime soon. Gunna check out the Aussie rescue site as well.
Keep Looking for sighthound mixes on petfinder.... I really second the sighthound suggestion. Especially in an apartment.

Whippets are a nice size and have a bark that you wouldn't believe came out of a thirty lb dog. They also are not going to yap all day at every sound. Just when it matters.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm on a boat..

also, if you're interested in Dachshunds, you might consider a standard..not a miniature. Nothing small or squishable about standards
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire!

I have two very alert Aussies. Ransom will let me know about anything and everything he thinks isn't ok. Shye will also.... most of the Border Collies I've known have been very protective of the house... lots of barking. Not much for biting. We did have one that nipped someone's heel once but he had it coming, taunting the dog. My mom's current BC bit once and only once and that was a guy who had broken in and was trying to beat and rape my mom. The bite was enough for her to get away. She owes that dog her life.

See about a lower key BC or Aussie. Then you can maybe get a merley monster!

My second recommendation is for a Boxer if they aren't banned. We had one when I was little. She was AMAZINGLY tolerant of anyone that was part of her family but NO ONE else was getting through that door.

Thanks to Sizzledog for le Siggy D'AWESOME!
Abusing Animals and Feeding CRAP since.... ALWAYS!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i was gonna say a standard doxie is a low to the ground but SOLID and for its height a veyr heavy and large dog. they have HUGE barks and tend to be extreemly tenecious dogs, many doxies will back up that bark too, they do have a high drive with small animals though.

a grey might also be a great idea...there large and rather intimidating dogs particularly the black ones, $300 is a little high for a rescue fee, but pre neutered, full health check, temperment tested and up to date on shots...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Very Food Agressive

Oh, I guess not everyone knows that I live with Justin (My bf/basically faincee) right now so any new dog would have us both as a family, not just me. I understand the problems that come with a guardian breed and how they could react poorly to new members of the family. My main concern would be reaction to a new baby which I hope to have within the next 10 years.

I think at this point I won't be able to get a guardian breed but I am very interesting in the sighthounds and Aussies. A manly voiced terrier wouldn't be out of the question either. I'm off the the office in a little while to get a breed list (banned ones) and see what I have to work with.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Taxiderpy

Make sure if you get a sight hound you get a vocal one. I also know of many individuals who will not utter a peep. Strider will not bark at people. Ever. The only time he got defensive with a person was when a drunken neighbor thought our apartment was theirs and tried to get in at 2 am. He stood in front of the door with his teeth bared, but he did not utter a peep. If they had gotten in there would have been a pants pooping surprise waiting. If I hadn't been sitting up with insomnia I would have never known someone was trying to get in the front door.

Most sighthounds are less territorial and more protective of family, but at the same time a lot of them are going to run and hide if someone yells at them or brandishes a stick (even if they've never been hit, they just know, lol).

Afghan hounds in general are much more of a guardian type than the racing greys, much more likely to alert, and much more likely to back it up if they need to. They have more of a sense of physical territory than other sight hound breeds as well. My uncle's old afghan didn't like the neighbor kids playing tag with us (he thought we were being chased in an aggressive way) so he knocked the girl down and sat on her until my uncle came out and told him it was okay. They are intelligent and seem to be able to develop good judgement as far as how much of a response is necessary for the situation.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Very Food Agressive

So there is no specific list printed out about what breeds we cannot own. The office basically calls the local vet and asks if the breed in question is aggressive and goes from there. So no Pitts, Rotts, Dobes, or GSD's thus far, I'm sure Akitas are out too if I'd asked.

I'm thinking Aussies or Sighthounds. Hoping to go look at a shelter this Saturday with Justin.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

if you can find a labXbull you'll have a real good chance of having a serious protector. labs & goldens rank in the top 3 on the bite list (where they should since they are in the top 3 for popularity). this sort of cross will have a low enough bite inhibition to engage a person (especially in a defensive situation) and the pain tolerance and heart of the bull. it doesn't really matter what kind of bull is in the cross but boxer, rott & "pit bull" will be most common.
this sort of cross makes excellent boardogs. most have no reverse and are hard dogs that catch & hold the pigs. the few that bay will take a lot of abuse from a hog and still stay in it's face. this kind of drive & grit translates well to protection applications. i wouldn't expect the same level of intensity & heart as you would get from a trained PP dog from a line bred for PP, but you should have plenty of opportunity to bring your piece or louisville slugger into play.
ETA
a nice bonus is, you'll have the shelter ID of lab mix & the management probably won't even bother to call anyone.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

what about shiba inus..... ?

Kinda like a mini akita...but not.

Bit different to own/train than most dogs...well worth it tho.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I would suggest maybe a GSD, but they're hard (basically impossible here) to rent with. Shack was a very very protective dog and pretty imposing looking if you didn't know him. I always felt safe with him around. I feel for you on the rental thing, though. I want another GSD more than anything (yes, even a bc) but can't get one because of where I live. It sucks.
I ranted with Chance. But he got us kicked out lol. Too many people were scared of him and he slipped his lead once and ran after a little girl. (I know he was trying to play but she did NOT.)

Its doable, but I didnt have the time. I was working 10 hour days, and not giving them enough exercise. Your situation could be entirely different. I just know Chance LOVES being let out of his crate and right into the backyard when I get home.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.