Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Twin 2.0

I think an Aussie would fit the "watchdog" bill...I know Sawyer lets me know about things out of the ordinary but not obessively so. Virgo, my foster black Lab did the same, but on a larger scale...she was more of the first defense and barked at more than Sawyer did. When Sawyer started barking, it was time to pay attention.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Your Mom

Another option: Greyhound

Though my Grey was relatively quiet, he would alert at night with a couple of big barks and a deep big boy growl. He kept at bay anyone who tried to enter my room when I was asleep. But when I worked at the rescue kennel there were a few big black boys who would patrol the yard and alert if anyone was outside the fence. It's a big dog (Wally was 30" at the shoulder and they can get taller) who is generally well mannered and low energy. You just need to find a rescue that will work with you. Though it's not common in Greyhounds to be alert dogs, it definitely does happen. And who's gonna mess with a dog THAT tall?!

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Very Food Agressive

I actually had a friend of mine whose family works in greyhound rescue suggest them to me. I wasn't sure they would alert but I can look in to it since I doubt those are often banned anywhere. That and I've always liked the look of sighhounds

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Squishy22

I have a neighbor who has a black standard poodle and his bark is surprisingly deep and intimidating. Scared the living daylights out of me once. Excellent alert dog. Much more aloof than the owners 2 pitties.

Like someone had already mentioned, some apartments will not tolerate noisy animals. I know here at my moms apartment her next door neighbor has a beagle that she has to take over to her relatives house when she is at work, because he is just TOO vocal and she doesn't wanna get kicked out.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I actually had a friend of mine whose family works in greyhound rescue suggest them to me. I wasn't sure they would alert but I can look in to it since I doubt those are often banned anywhere. That and I've always liked the look of sighhounds
Just specify that you're looking for one who alerts to sounds, and they should be able to help you out. Most Grey rescues are great about working with people's wants/needs

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Dachshunds...they have that 'big dog bark', but are not yappy.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Very Food Agressive

I wanted a doxie before we even got Izzy, Justin doesn't want a dog that he can "squish on accident" which is how he views Doxies. I think they're awesome because they have that deep bark and small size. Ironically, Izzy sounds like a full grown male lab when she barks at the dog park, she just NEVER barks at home.

So, when looking into houndy rescue, I want normal greyhounds not Italian, correct?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Squishy22

My aunt has a male dachshund that barks at everything and anything. I think it has to do with her reinforcing his behavior though... he barks when he wants treats or table scraps or attention, etc etc. lol. My last landlord is a dachshund breeder and her dogs are not obsessive about barking. And yeah, they have a very surprising deep bark. Very sturdy dogs too.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Very Food Agressive

Oh so greyhound rescues want $300 a dog... And honestly, I can't pay that all in one go right now! I could easily pay for food and vets (They're pretty reasonable in my area) but that's a tad much to rescue for me. So we'll be shelter shopping sometime soon. Gunna check out the Aussie rescue site as well.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Just remember when getting a guardy breed. You live alone NOW..that may not be the case 5-10 years from now. MANY guardy breeds that get bonded...esp to female owners have a REAL issue later with adapting to change, bf, fiancee, children...etc.

Just something to bear in mind. You get a serious dog you get it for LIFE...regardless of what life hands you in the years to come. Might pay to consider that as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/