Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

My Goldens have always warned and had louds barks . Yet they never barked for the sense of barking . Years ago a friend of mine moved and was scared to death . I lent her my Rufus for a few nights and she slept well . If an intruder hears a loud bark I think they would take a hike . With a yippie dog , I don't think it would stop them . I personally like a dog that wouldn't attack .... they6 don't know that Goldens are pussycats ! They don't see the dog ....just hear the bark !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM
CASSA

Expert trainer working in Fila cAo CO . May have a softer dog for u.
Note these dogs will bark and BITE if someone comes in. Molosser Rescue
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM
BusterLove

All our lot are protective in different ways.

Harry is all ACD, he would die protecting his people. We are his main concern.

Sophie was always more into protecting her property. She's a big bully pig dog mix. Sold as a bullmastiff/Boxer. She looks like she's got Dane, pointer etc etc in her. When she was ytounger, each night right on dusk she would patrol the boundry, check the entire fenceline before settling on the back verandah.

Mac is more a watchdog. She barks first, thinks later... terrier.

Buster is better at assessing situations, he checks what the other dogs are reacting to and decides if he needs to join in.

Everydog I've lived with has been "protective" to some point. Most were working dog mixes.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Let it be

Hmm... an older Cattle Dog may fit. THey usually aren't restricted at places but are tough as nails, do bark... and heck they look pretty darn intimidating (least I think so)
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Hmm... an older Cattle Dog may fit. THey usually aren't restricted at places but are tough as nails, do bark... and heck they look pretty darn intimidating (least I think so)
Really? Maybe it's my area, but they're always restricted here.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet molosser View Post
Expert trainer working in Fila cAo CO . May have a softer dog for u.
Note these dogs will bark and BITE if someone comes in. Molosser Rescue
My question is where the dog might be (like what state they're being fostered in) and how the rescue feels about adopting out to owners living in apartments.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Really? Maybe it's my area, but they're always restricted here.
Yupp. Only breeds I've ever seen restricted here though are the usual Pit Bulls, Rottis, Dobermans and German Shepards. Never goes beyond that. At least not where I've looked for housing.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Yupp. Only breeds I've ever seen restricted here though are the usual Pit Bulls, Rottis, Dobermans and German Shepards. Never goes beyond that. At least not where I've looked for housing.
Lucky. Depending on the complex we have some of the most random lists. The first are the usuals- rotts, dobes, gsds, pits... then usually right after is ACDs and Filas (or sometimes they just put down 'mastiffs'). They're getting more up on the guard breeds here, you often see akitas and Cane corsos on the list too. The one had keeshonds and bedlingtons banned, which seemed completely random. Huskies are usually banned and I've seen several with some of the hounds and coonhounds banned.

Really, the lists make no sense, so I'd definitely get yours before getting a dog. The place I'm in now only has the rotts, dobes, pit bulls, and GSDs restricted.

Also, think about in case you have to move. Don't get something that your apartment may allow but no others do. I could technically get a mastiff where I live now, but if for some reason I had to move with a dog over 65 lbs, I couldn't find a place to live in that town. Under 65 lbs is no real problem. So definitely familiarize yourself with the local apartment complexes and their rules.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

This may seem totally random, but when we lived in Cambridge. Mass, we lived in a building with wooden fire escapes that people kept using to break in--except on out floor. I had a 10" tall, very heavy boned, broad chested Scottie that barked like a GSD. No one ever touched our apartment or the one behind us. The woman who lived there LOVED our Scottie.

Any of the bigger boned, short legged terriers might fit the bill. Most Scotties I have seen olately, would not. But maybe something like a Glen of Imaal.....

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 PM
CASSA

Missori is where they are fostered I think it would be a each dog thing.
Try contacting her any where u never know a diamond in the rough could be waiting for u
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].