Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Very Food Agressive

Default Protective Dog breeds

Ok, in light of my current living situation and the fact that I'm just too wary/scare/paranoid to sleep at night, I'm considering getting a dog that might be able to alert to strangers in the area. I mean a dog that would bark if someone knocked on the door or, like this weekend, if someone climbs up on my back porch.

So, are there any good alert breeds to look for in rescues/Craiglist/shelters? Can't be any breed that can't get insured (ie Pits, Rotts ect) since I live in an apartment complex whose only restriction on dogs is breed.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Yorkie Love

I can send you Armani... you will KNOW the second someone is near the apt... now once they come in?! he will probably come running to hide behind you.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Most of the herding and working breeds will alert. Do you want something with some size to back up the bark? Do you want something that will bark but isn't likely to bite or do you want something that's more likely to bite if needed?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm All Ears

If all you want is a dog to bark an alert, a ton of breeds could fit the bill. A lot of the small and toy breed dogs seem more vocal to me and can be great watch dogs. Summer is the best watch dog I've had. Any noise, especially at night, and she'll start with a low growl and come over to me to let me know she thinks something's there. The few times my dad has decided to open my door and walk in at night, she literally jumps on me and barks and growls a warning to him. The only problem is when Summer barks an alarm it kind of sounds like a squeaky toy going off, lol! Most the paps have been the same way (except Nard who doesn't usually realize something until the others have, lol!) Rose is what I call my little redneck dog- she often sounds like she's going to kill whatever wanders in our yard.

Trey in his prime was a great watchdog. Shelties are very loud with their barks too so if you couldn't see him you'd have no idea it was a small dog barking at you. He sounds like he's about 60- 70 lbs and mean when he's carrying on. All of my shelties were good about this too, they tend not to care for strangers and are very observant and vocal dogs. And like I said, their bark could probably bust the person's ear drums. The only problem is they tend to not like to stop barking once they start.

Now, if someone actually came in the house, he'd probably have hidden and the paps are sure not going to do much to stop someone. (As soon as they see the person it's 'omg newbestfriend!') But I do know everything that goes on with them around.

I would suggest maybe a GSD, but they're hard (basically impossible here) to rent with. Shack was a very very protective dog and pretty imposing looking if you didn't know him. I always felt safe with him around. I feel for you on the rental thing, though. I want another GSD more than anything (yes, even a bc) but can't get one because of where I live. It sucks.

An Aussie would be another idea. A lot of Aussies are similar to shelties in that they are not going to be warming right up to strangers but they have more size. Herding breeds in general would be something to look at, imo.

Last edited by Laurelin; 03-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Any dog will sound the alarm if need be. I have yet to see a dog that won't bother barking at an intruder or some noise they hear. Terrier breeds are notorious for their barking. I think just the barking would scare anyone who was around since they would be afraid of getting caught where they don't belong. A large protective dog could be more than you bargained for if not properly trained.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Let it be

Herding dogs of some sort! My Border Collies aren't barkers. You won't hear a peep out of them in the house. Nor if someone knocks at the door but you'll have one heck of a time trying to break into the house without me getting woken up. Spank is the alarm, Bandit the muscle. I'm not suggesting you get a Border Collie, but herding breeds in general seem to like to use their voices. I also lived with a Sheltie for years. They certainly are vocal and if you don't get a look at them you won't be invading someone's house. They sound pretty fierce.

That being said Miley puts on the alarm too. Post an ad on craigslist saying you want a dog that barks. I'm sure there will be tons of people wanting to rid themselves of their bored, under stimulated, obsessive barkers that given the proper mental stimulation could just be alarm dogs.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Very Food Agressive

Thanks guys! I have Izzy but she honestly thinks humans are the best thing in the world and wags her tail at anyone that comes near. She doesn't even seem to get it when I tense up around bigger guys on the street walking by us as the sun is setting (Which won't happen again any time soon) She just wants to be pet and loved on by everyone so she's really not an alarm dog.

Sheltie sounds great to me, they're adorable and I love the collie-look. I'd like a bark with depth that sounds like a big dog but it doesn't necessarily need to be a dog that can back up the bark with a bite. I'd like a GSD but I don't think they're allowed here. I do love herding breeds so an Aussie would make me super happy,

I've been looking at Shar Pei rescues and the breed looks like something I'd enjoy but I'm not sure what my apartment complex allows. Maybe I should ask for a breed list (the ones that aren't allowed) And go from there.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Yea, retrievers are probably among the least likely to bark. They're just too friendly and trusting.

Corgis are good watchdogs. Their bark sounds like it's a bigger dog.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Very Food Agressive

I think Justin really feels sorry about the fact that I can't sleep because I don't feel safe so I think we'll be visiting some shelters this week and see if anyone jumps out at us.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Akitas...a lot of dog tho. They would gladly die for their people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/