Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Default Calling All Rottie Owners! Need Help!

I wasn't sure if this would be better off in health or here, so feel free to move if needed.
A friend has rescued a 6 month old male Rottie out of a bad situation. The dog was dumped by his owner because he wasn't mean enough. Luckily, my friend likes the breed, and wants to keep "Satan" (Now Santana) for her own. He is a big love bug, and will hopefully be a wonderful ambasssador for the breed one day.
The issue is this. Santana is not neutered. She had read the studies linking Rottie bone cancer to early neutering, and wants to wait until he is 2 to neuter. This would be fine, except only one of Santana's testicles has dropped.
At this point, it seems unlikely that the other one will fall naturally. She wants to know if she is better of neutering now, and risking bone cancer, or waiting and risking the testicle turning cancerous. Her vet is pushing her to neuter, but didn't seem very aware of some of the newest studies on pediatric spay/neuter.
I had no idea what to tell her, but I told her I knew the right place to ask. What would you guys do in this situation?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

I'd go by what the vets suggests because of the one that hasn't descended .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Taxiderpy

Don't know if it is typical in rotties, but a friend had a male collie who's second one didn't drop until he was almost 8 months old.

And a really nice good breeder that I know kept back a male with only one testicle (mainly because she was fond of him, no plans to breed). The second never dropped and she had him neutered at 2 years old, he hadn't had any problems with it leading up to the neuter. Maybe someone else will know how quickly cancer would develop.

If he was my dog, I'd personally give him until at least his first birthday to grow out before neutering.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Show Dog

The undescended testie may or may not cause any problems, but I am a firm believer that spayes and neuters should never be done before growth plates are closed. I even have in my contract that no spay or neuter before 10 months of age. Not only are there health risk associated with pediatric spay and neuters but rottweilers, in particular, have an increased risk for various cancers.

I would advise your friend to wait until at least 10 months of age. A few more months of waiting won't hurt him and if she could put it off 'til after 12 months, even better.

Obviously, if there is a health risk associated with the undescended testie, then an early neuter may be neccessary, but if there is no risk, I would wait.

And as far as vets go, I think if they had it their way, all dogs and cats would be rendered sterile at birth and all dogs would be fed Science Diet. She needs to ask her vet if there is any immediate health risk in leaving him intact. If there isn't, she should tell the vet that she is opting to hold off until his growth plates have closed. If the vet doesn't like this, I would find a different vet that is more versed in current studies.

Just a side note, just because both testies did not descend properly does not mean that he can not breed and will not show typical male behaviors, so your friend needs to be responsible as anyone with an intact male should be.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Living on Doberman Drive

I personally had both removed at one time in my dog with this issue but know of someone that wanted to wait until 2, so they had one (the undescended testicle) removed early, and then held off on the neuter of the other descended testicle until the dog was 2 years old.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmaskrott View Post
The undescended testie may or may not cause any problems, but I am a firm believer that spayes and neuters should never be done before growth plates are closed. I even have in my contract that no spay or neuter before 10 months of age. Not only are there health risk associated with pediatric spay and neuters but rottweilers, in particular, have an increased risk for various cancers.

I would advise your friend to wait until at least 10 months of age. A few more months of waiting won't hurt him and if she could put it off 'til after 12 months, even better.

Obviously, if there is a health risk associated with the undescended testie, then an early neuter may be neccessary, but if there is no risk, I would wait.

And as far as vets go, I think if they had it their way, all dogs and cats would be rendered sterile at birth and all dogs would be fed Science Diet. She needs to ask her vet if there is any immediate health risk in leaving him intact. If there isn't, she should tell the vet that she is opting to hold off until his growth plates have closed. If the vet doesn't like this, I would find a different vet that is more versed in current studies.

Just a side note, just because both testies did not descend properly does not mean that he can not breed and will not show typical male behaviors, so your friend needs to be responsible as anyone with an intact male should be.
working for a vet, i gutta say~great post! and being a rott owner for 16 years, X2...
no harm to wait a few more months, so long as your vet feels his health is not being compromised in any way.