Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

View Poll Results: d40 or d60
Nikon D40 3 30.00%
Nikon D60 5 50.00%
Other (please specify) 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default Nikon D60 VS D40! VOTE! and share your oppinions (and pictures :) )

PRO?
CONS?

which do you think would be best for me?

im a beginner in ever sense of the word, right now i just have a lil sony point and shoot. Im looking for a great camera that will take high quality pictures of people, my dogs. and other stuff.... just for fun

I need a camera that acomplishes that with a really fast picture taking speed! lol nothing annoys me more than waiting for a camera to take a picture! ughh my dogs move fast, my friends are hyper, im hyper, i need a camera that can keep up with them and not test my patience

ive gotten very mixed opinnions, some say the extra price isnt worth it, some swear by the D60 and some say that for my needs.. the D40 would serve me well

thanks for your help
Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

I have the D40, and have been told there isn't much of a difference between the two. When I was looking at cameras last March before I bought mine, I couldn't see any real big differences between the two either, so I went with the best deal at the time (which was the D40). I think they're both pretty similar, except for the fact that the D60 is a newer model.

The only problem I have with my camera is that it's kind of slow when taking indoor pictures (with [internal] flash or without). That probably also has a lot to do with the fact that my house doesn't have very good light, and I only have the two kit lenses still (which I've been told are both slower lenses)... and no speedlight yet. In good lighting though, it's excellent and there's nothing else about the camera that I don't like.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
I have the D40, and have been told there isn't much of a difference between the two. When I was looking at cameras last March before I bought mine, I couldn't see any real big differences between the two either, so I went with the best deal at the time (which was the D40). I think they're both pretty similar, except for the fact that the D60 is a newer model.

The only problem I have with my camera is that it's kind of slow when taking indoor pictures (with [internal] flash or without). That probably also has a lot to do with the fact that my house doesn't have very good light, and I only have the two kit lenses still (which I've been told are both slower lenses)... and no speedlight yet. In good lighting though, it's excellent and there's nothing else about the camera that I don't like.
Ditto to this...
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Water Junkie

I'd go with the D40x. It's practically the same as the D60 for cheaper.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
I'd go with the D40x. It's practically the same as the D60 for cheaper.
When I was looking to buy a DSLR last May, the D40x was WAY more expensive than the D60 because the D60 is the replacement for the D40x.

I'd go with a D40 only because the extra megapixels aren't going to matter unless you are going to blow up pics to poster size, and the self cleaning sensor thing? yeah, not REAL important.

Also, the D40 goes higher in shutter speed, and the D40 functions better at higher ISOs (for whatever reason, I don't know, but it does.).

For those wanting to take faster indoor shots: Get an external flash. If you go with the SB600, you can set your shutter at any speed you'd like.
If you get an SB400, the highest your shutter will go is 1/250 (but that's usually fast enough for indoor shots).
Old 03-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Resident fainting goat

amazon has the d40 and the d60 at practically the same price

the D40x is 543.00
and the D60 is 534.88
Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Water Junkie

Weird! Everywhere I was looking (not Amazon) had the D40x for less money which is why I went with that one!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Squishy22

I miss my D40. I thought my point and shoot cannon was a good camera before I got a D40. Now that I am back using the cannon again... its crap... garbage... slow. lol. I've never used any other DSLR cameras, but I my expectations with the D40 were exceeded so much that I dont care to look at any others considering its price as well. If only I could find the person who stole it!! Grrr.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm All Ears

I have to say that I have been very pleased with my D60 so far.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
amazon has the d40 and the d60 at practically the same price

the D40x is 543.00
and the D60 is 534.88
Best Buy has the D40 on sale for $450 this week--I saw it in their ad. Is there a difference between the D40 and the D40x?

I'd look at PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping, Online Shopping, Product Reviews They will compare all the different sites with taxes and shipping and give you the best overall deal. It usually saves me some money over amazon.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG