Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Big Dog

Talking Do you think dog's can laugh?

My oldest Yorkie is the happiest dog I have ever met and some times when he plays or if we pat his rear end he smiles really big and makes a rapid panting sound. I think he is laughing. My other Yorkie never does anything like this but I do know when he is happy, he just doesnt physically show when he is laughing.

Does your dog laugh?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Puppy Dog

If that's a laugh, Nova does it all the time
Old 09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Funny you guys mention this. There was a documentary on the Discovery Channel that I clearly remember watching..It was last year I think...where scientists actually had proven that dogs do indeed laugh. When they open their mouths up wide like that and pant..they also actually make loud squeaking noises that human ears cannot hear. They used some kind of instrument to measure and capture that sound and actually played it..it was amazing..sounded like a high pitched dolphin scream..

So yeah I think its safe to say that dogs do indeed laugh lol
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for that information, wish I would have seen that documentary. It warms my heart to know my dog laughs every single day and that makes me laugh too.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Active Pup

I am sure mine is constantly laughing at me.......i'm sure he thinks i am crazy! He may just have a point.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Felurian

I KNOW Shiva laughs! Kharma, I'd say is more of a snickerer. Poor Bimmer's always worried about what the girls are getting into, but when I take him with me all by ourselves or when he and Charlie are up to something I'd say he has a few laughs.

Last edited by Renee750il; 09-09-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Dog Spoiler

I think Boomer laughs all the time. Especially when he picks apples and scatters them all over the backyard. He always has a huge smile on his face and it makes me happy just to see that.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Felurian

Bimmer just got up on the couch, laid down and crossed his paws over Charley's bare feet, and licked and tickled them until Charley wiggled loose. Then . . . Bimmer jumped down, flopped on the floor . . . and . . . you guessed it . . . Rolled On Floor Laughing! I'd never thought of it that way, but he does that whenever he's done something like that. Whodathunkit?
Old 09-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Top Dog

One of my dogs used to make a ticking noise when she was happy, especially after she ate. It was barely audible, and none of my other dogs has ever made any noises like it.

She was really only interested in food, not playing or anything else, and she got it any way she could, including hunting birds in the backyard. She probably ate hundreds of the over the almost 13 years I had her. I can't figure out why she was so good at it. King tries the same basic technique, crashing into the bushes and grabbing at anything that moves, and he gets nothing, Blackie got one about 1 out of 3 times, and gobbled them up in a few seconds......yuck..

King smiles a lot, but I never hear any laughing.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:17 AM

I never hear anything....but I've always said to Addie, "are you smiling at me????" because I swear she is. When Hammie has decided he doesn't want to come when called, I KNOW he turns around...looks at me..and is laughing.