Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Default Puppy question

I am hoping that in June I will be adding to the zoo here. And that got me thinking about the wierd things that Ivan does. He is a big smack talker(even does it in his sleep). He has to voice his opinion in some way shape or form. He is the first constant smack talker I have ever had. So much so I have trouble getting him to shut up at times. Anyway I was wondering if the new puppy would pick up the smack talking or could it possible the smack talking is just Ivans personality? And I am worrying about something that may not happen?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

I'd say it's possible, barking tends to be one of those things dogs like to do together, it's no guarantee of course but if you could you might want to try and train him to contain himself before adding the pup or start immediately training the new pup to disregard Ivan's barking right off the bat (treat her for staying shut while Ivan barks, I'm not sure how effective this is but it might work). Now if he's less of a barker and more of a moany grumbly talker then the pup might be less inclined to join in, it's usually barking and howling that makes dogs sing with the chorus. The pup will probably not talk for no reason unless he gets something out of it, if he ends up being like Ivan and simply likes the sound and feeling of making noise then you'll have another ivan type. If he only does it because ivan is doing it then you'll only get noise from him when ivan is making noise and if you accidentally teach him that his noise gets him attention or other good things you'll teach him to talk a lot so be sure to ignore talking by walking right out on the pup or interrupt without paying attention by maybe squeaking your shoe on the ground or making another curious noise while not looking at pup so he closes his mouth, wait for a few seconds of silence and then redirect pup to doing something else like playing with a toy.

what kind of puppy are you getting? Shelter/rescue or breeder? Don't forget pictures!!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

I know that Ollie rarely barks unless the has barking visiters . Usually if I check and give an " all clear " all cool .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Anyway I was wondering if the new puppy would pick up the smack talking?
Count on it mwahahahaha

Maxy's advice was great. I have nothing to add to it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

Agree with Maxy.

My dog does some alarm-barking when she hears something, but it's not excessive and she stops when I tell her to. My roommate's dog does the same thing. But get them together barking, and it's HARD to get them to stop! Luckily it seems that when they are separated they don't bark as much, so that's good, but then again they've only been living together for a few months.... I don't know if it'd be different if they grew up together....
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Maxy she will be another Dal. He is a barker, howler, moaner, any kind of noise imaginable and some that you would never imagine LOL. And yes there will be pictures when I do get her. Right now we are keeping our fingers crossed that the bitch is preggers(we should know sometime this week).

Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Aww, I'll be thinking Dal puppy thoughts!! Are you going to the same breeder that Ivan is from?
Skiddy, All-American adorable red cattledog mix

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

Yes K9 she will be from the same breeder.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Top Dog

I was going to ask this earlier but forgot. Maxy any ideas on how to teach him to contain himself?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Maxy any ideas on how to teach him to contain himself?
What do you mean "contain himself"???