Dog birth!

Athebeau

A female dog can breed and can get pregnant during her first heat. Small breed dogs go into their first heat cycle for 5 months up to 1 year and the larger breeds from 6 months to 18 months. A breeder will not breed a female dog until it has had a few heat cycles first and the dog has reached maturity. For the Newf's we wouldn't breed them until they are past the age of 2 and stop breeding at the age of about 5. Although I know of one breeder who bred a Newf at the age of 10...he was a Vet :rolleyes:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
people here recommend waiting until the dog is ATLEAST 2 years old. You have to make sure they have the proper health tests and have had a chance to grow up. That's horrible that a vet would breed a dog that is that old, Athe.

showpug

candy722 said:
I heard on their first heat but better to wait until the 2nd heat.
You never breed a b!tch on her first heat, or second!!!! You wait until at least the 4th!!! We don't want 12-13 year old girls having babies that young, why would a dog be different??? :confused:

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
showpug said:
You never breed a b!tch on her first heat, or second!!!! You wait until at least the 4th!!! We don't want 12-13 year old girls having babies that young, why would a dog be different??? :confused:
once again showpug you got to it before myself and I could'nt have said it better.

bubbatd

Ditto !!!!!! NEVER-EVER !!!! Most of the tests are more accurate after two years too. Also, by 2 the gal will have her growth and you can tell if she's worthy of breeding.

Richie12345

Like yall said, 2 years of age. I believe that's when you can tell if the ***** has hip problems or something?

M

Manchesters

Not Always True

showpug said:
It depends on the age of the b!tches that did not have their first heat until they were 12-14 months old. And some only come into heat once a year. Also, Toys can be bred before 2 without any problems (by that I mean at perhaps 18 months of age.) Larger breeds in my opinion should not be breed before at least 3 years of age, because they do not finish maturing until at least that age. Now....bear in mind, the above is for the b!tches only. Males are different story, naturally. (Aren't they always......of all species, rofl.)

Smaller dogs are fully grown by their third heat and can be bred from if the meet all the criteria, a larger breed is not fully matured until 2 1/2 years

Members online

No members online now.