Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Default Dremel

Have any of you ever used a dremel on your dog's nails? Alexa is absolutely terrified of the clipper but doesn't mind me filing her nails so I've heard of people doing thing and just wondering what you guys think.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
woop

I dremel my dog's nails. He doesn't mind the clippers at all, but I like how I can round the nail out with the dremel. It spares me getting scratched when playing with him. Hate the nail dust that flies in my face when I do it though.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

I use a dremel on dogs at work. I'm pretty good with clippers so actually the dogs seem to be fairly comfortable either way, I don't see a huge difference, tolerance-wise (well, given about 4 or 5 training sessions to desensetize them). In fact I had one dog who was ok with getting his nails clipped, but as soon as I turned on the dremmel he FREAKED (just the noise.... and I started it on low) and then I had to desensetize him to nail clipping all over again. If I'm in a hurry I'd rather use clippers.

BUT, the dremmel does do an amazing job of getting nails REALLY short. So if your dog has really long quicks or you're just trying to shorten his nails, the dremmel is DEFINATELY the way to go. And, if your dog associates nail clippers with really bad stuff, the dremmel might be an easy way to get him to tolerate having his nails done again. SizzleDog has a really good article on her website here about how to dremmel.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Lord Cynical

Yep, we dremel here!

I put this together awhile ago...
SizzleDog Design |

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

I use a dremel as well. Mine all tolerate nail clippers fine, but I'm not as comfortable with them as I am my dremel. Plus, as others have said, the dremel does a much nicer job of rounding off the nails and getting them shorter.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I use a dremel on dogs at work. I'm pretty good with clippers so actually the dogs seem to be fairly comfortable either way, I don't see a huge difference, tolerance-wise (well, given about 4 or 5 training sessions to desensetize them). In fact I had one dog who was ok with getting his nails clipped, but as soon as I turned on the dremmel he FREAKED (just the noise.... and I started it on low) and then I had to desensetize him to nail clipping all over again. If I'm in a hurry I'd rather use clippers.

BUT, the dremmel does do an amazing job of getting nails REALLY short. So if your dog has really long quicks or you're just trying to shorten his nails, the dremmel is DEFINATELY the way to go. And, if your dog associates nail clippers with really bad stuff, the dremmel might be an easy way to get him to tolerate having his nails done again. SizzleDog has a really good article on her website here about how to dremmel.
Yeah see when Alexa was a pup one of the vet techs cut her nails and cut them too short and she bled and what not and she's hated it ever since. I've tried so many methods of desensitizing her but if she even sees the clippers she won't let me even touch her paws, nevermind me clipping them. The noise of the dremel doesn't bother her thank god, she finds it interesting, lol. She's still iffy on me using it on her nails though. So I'm just doing a couple nails each day to help her get used to it. She does have really long quicks, that and because of her hatred for getting her nails clipped her nails are way longer than they should be and therefore it's causing her pain when she walks and pain when i try to clip them. And no groomer here in town has the patience to really put up with her hissy fits. Last time I took her to the groomer it took 4 of us to distract her so he could clip her nails.

Right now for desensitizing her I start off by getting her to lie down on the couch, we have some cuddle time to make sure she's nice and calm, then i pull out the clippers (or well dremel now) and let her sniff it and what not and treat her. I just touch it to her nail, or near it, and if she stays calm she gets a treat, and so on. If she starts freaking out I give her a break and try again later. Does that sound good to you guys? I'm trying to do it at least once every couple days so that I can get her nails shorter as quickly as possible. cuz they're so long, and so thick, and the likes to dig and the last thing I was is one to split and actually hurt her paw or something y'know?

Oy, little frustrating dog. But so cute, lol.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

my dog is also scared of clipper and whenever she sees me holding one she suddenly starts to crawl under our furniture.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

No dremeling here! Our boxer just gives up after a period of wrestling and lets us cut his nails with the nail clippers. It is funny how after that, he does not want to play with us for a while, but then goes back to his normal goofiness. I guess you just need to be patient.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Lord Cynical

IMO there are many advantages to dremeling - shorter nails, virtually no risk of injuring the dog, rounded edges instead of sharp edges.... the list goes on and on.

In my experience, NO nail job with a pair of clippers can get nails as short or as pretty as a dremel.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
In my experience, NO nail job with a pair of clippers can get nails as short or as pretty as a dremel.
Agreed!

I actually quicked a dog with a dremel yesterday.... Felt really bad, didn't know it was possible. Not as bad as quicking with nail clippers, though!