Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Top Dog

Default Giant Afghans?

I work with a guy who I believe to be a chronic BSer. He always has a story to tell that is just better than anyone else's. Today during lunch someone was talking about their 90lb adolescent Berner and this guy pipes in with a story about his family having a "Giant Afghan hound" when he was a kid (The guy recently turned 70. He claims the dog was a 170lb dog that had parents that were used to hunt Snow Leopards.

I don't know anything about Afghans but I have never heard of Giant Afghans and can't find any info on the net about them. Is/was there such a thing? If there was wouldn't they be LGDs not hunting dogs at that size?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

remember, he was a kid. When I was little, I thought Afghans were giant too.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Taxiderpy

My uncle had a monstrously huge afghan when I was a kid. My dad is over 6' tall and Rang would jump up and put his paws on my dad's shoulders and lick his face every time we visited. When he did that he was taller than my dad. I was really surprised the first time I saw a correct afghan, at how much smaller they were.

So yeah, huge out of standard afghans exist. But there don't seem to be any special strains or anything.

Rang definitely didn't weigh anywhere near 170 lbs though. Best guess is that he was maybe 110 tops.

Though, I did meet one 38 inch male borzoi who is 165 lbs. He is grotesquely overweight though, and wouldn't be able to catch anything aside from the occasional teddy bear if his life depended on it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Let it be

People over guess the weight of dog's all the time. Afghans are slim little ones. I don't doubt the possibility of him having a overly large one but 170lbs? Well... that may be pushing it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Lol, I remember our shepherd being GIANT. He was only 65 lbs, but he looked huge to me as a kid!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Top Dog

He stressed that it was a different line but maybe it was just a bending of the truth.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh, it's *you*

actually I wouldn't be surprised if he meant a CAO or similar.

They actually were used to hunt/defend flocks from predators in a the range where snow leopards are found. They also DO reach that size...pretty often actually.

Perhaps he got the breed name wrong but there are Asian Shepherd breeds in Afghanistan that attain that size and when snow leopards were more common they perhaps DID need to chase them off when lambing or calving season was on.

There are also dogs of that size in Afghanistan, used today, to fight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

Possible but he grew up in Northern Wisconsin in the 1940s and 1950s. When did they start to import CAOs to the USA?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Oh, it's *you*

who knows? I do know we've pretty much always allowed servicemen and well, anyone to import dogs tho. Perhaps someone liked a puppy they saw on their travels and brought it over.

Akitas were being brought over at that time by servicemen and others so I know importation was allowable then.

And who knows what that breed/type might've been called then either? LOL. Maybe just a "hound from Afghanistan"?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

show him a pic of a tazi or borzoi & a modern afghan and ask him which one they looked like. if he says neither than get him pics of the sage kooche. if he still says no then get him to come up w/ a pic.