Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Wish you could find a lactating female .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like it all worked out for the best.

I'd suggest doing a bunch of research on puppies and their developmental stages, so that you'd have a better idea of what you're getting into if you do decide to do this in the future. Most puppies don't open their eyes until around three weeks old (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not likely, I dont' think, that the shelter would really have a lot of babies younger than that who would need a foster home to go to. This does sound like an interesting program, though, and I do think you are one of probably only a handful of volunteers at your shelter who would be responsible enough to really do what's best for the puppies, so I wish you luck if you do decide to do it in the future!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
It's great that you want to help, and I'm glad you were able to find someone experienced with newborns to take them in

Maybe you can go help the person who does take them.
Im gonna go over and help out with them 2morrow
Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

Ive gotta learn the proper feeding techniques.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
This bothers me, a lot. Why would they give you the pups when you've had no experience caring for puppies? I'm not necessarily saying you shouldn't take them, and you are doing the right thing by asking here. I'm more turning my nose at the rescue you're volunteering for.

Something should be done in terms of training people to look after newborn pups, or to take on someone who's had experience with it, not just hand you the puppies and wish you luck. :/

At least there are people put there that would like to give the newborns a chance to live a healthy and happy life. Instead of just sitting back and saying "well I don't know how to do that...so I'm just going to sit back and let them put the newborns to sleep"

Also, the only way to get experience is to actually go out there and do it. There is no other way to learn.

Things like this cannot be pushed back and forth. If there is nobody else around and something has to be done, than so be it. Don't question things; as by the time your done questioning it it may be too late.

Also, people come to these forums to get proper advice and support. When or if that advice and direction is given, that is for more valuable than questioning the reason why these newborns are given to somebody wanting to help.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
thankfully, i go to a school where taking puppies to school is not a problem and leaving class every 3 hours to feed them isnt a problem eether. we have an animal rights club and rescue is something we do all the time (im the president) so taking the newborn pups to school and feeding them while im there isnt a problem

I COMPLETELY agree with Gina. A school is not the place for a young pup whose immune system is not even developed yet, nor can they even regulate their own body temps. It's very admirable you want to help these pups, but now may not be the best time to volunteer taking in ones so young. Older pups might be a better choice since they are not so limited as to where they can go & are generally less fragile.

Also, this is a little OT, but I wanted to point this out. There IS a massive difference between Animal RIghts and Animal Welfare, comparing the two is like saying bull baiting and weight pull activities are one in the same. They are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, with "rights" being literally giving animals rights to be free from human ownership & welfare having to do with the caring/humane treatment of animals.

Animal Welfare vs. Animal Rights

PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com
Old 03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
At least there are people put there that would like to give the newborns a chance to live a healthy and happy life. Instead of just sitting back and saying "well I don't know how to do that...so I'm just going to sit back and let them put the newborns to sleep"

Also, the only way to get experience is to actually go out there and do it. There is no other way to learn.
No, this is not the only way to learn. The way to learn about newborn puppies and how to care for them is through a mentor. With a good mentor you can get hands on learning about whelping and raising puppies without having to learn by trial and error.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Well, I think it's a great idea, rather than being PTS.

I wish people would stop treating dogs like precious little glass ornaments sometimes.... They're tough cookies. Newborn animals are tough. That's why we have 1000's of feral creatures born in foul environments.... Dogs giving birth in sewage pipes and cats breeding in filthy sheds...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Resident fainting goat

ok ill try to answer everything starting with, i DID NOT take these pups. i misunderstood her fragile they were, I found someone who was more qualified, she has raised MANY litters before so she raised them and i helped as much as i can. i took shifts, did feedings, and just stayed with them while she did errands.. they are irresistably cute and im working on helping her find good homes to line up for them. she is a mentor, and im taking shifts and learning what i can...im not a proffesional but im learning and shes helping me learn. i really DID NOT know how much work it was lol they are cute but very very very needy and LOUD and surprisingly active

I truly had NO IDEA taking them to school was a problem but i also had NO IDEA how young there were, the pups ended up being TINY (eyes closed). i did not and will not take pups to school. we will keep the room for the older dogs.

as for the name of the club.. i know. the name is horrible. but i did NOT pick the name.. and by the time i became president. the tshirts had been made and the school thought it would be too much of a "hassle" to change it. it sucks.. i hate it. but the club does some good and i have managed to keep PETA out of the list of "where to donate", fundraisers, ect..

Yes, the program at the shelter is new and not very good but im glad SOMETHING is being done. Litters of pups used to just come in, and go straight to be put to sleep, atleast now they have a chance. even if its with newbies like me

Dizzy.. i agree. newborn animals are pretty hardy. i just wanted to learn all I could from the forum from people who have done it before. i didnt mean any harm
Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Not a lurker

Personally I'd rather see someone who is totally novice take on a litter of abandoned puppies versus the alternative...instant death. At least this way they are being given a chance.

This isn't someone who's breeding a litter and lost the mother, this is someone who is helping puppies that didn't ask to be born. I would have expected more helpful answers than most gave and less of the typical rude responses. I'm not pointing fingers but the point is at least the shelter is giving them a chance at something more than a needle, and since it sounds like a city/county run shelter they probably don't have the funds to have someone come in and raise puppies, so volunteers is what they have.

It's better than nothing, why not try to help and support someone trying to do some good in the world.