Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Big Dog

Default puppy needs medicine

Hi Chaz. I was wondering if anyone could give me quick tips on getting Wanta to take her medicine. It's proving incredibly difficult, especially since now she has that silly cone hat.

Essentially, she was spayed yesterday. The problem is, she needs to take her liquid medications (1cc each dosage). I have -no idea- how to do this now. I always assumed she would just sip it up like when she was a puppy (well...a -younger- puppy anyways). nowadays, she completely avoids my hands/syringe. I don't know how to get her to take it, back then I would even squirt it into my hand b/c she would lick it up. But even that isn't working anymore. Do I really have to hold her head still, b/c she really struggles, etc.

Tips would be great, thx
Old 03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Big Dog

To clarify, she essentially -jerks- her head to avoid the syringe completely. I don't see any way to make her take her meds unless I were to hold her head still, but this somehow feels forceful and I don't want to do it unless it is approved first/the last resort. Thx
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

I would wrap her in a towel. Try and give her a piece of hot dog or something, and when she takes it just squirt the medication in her mouth!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

You could try mixing it with a couple spoonfulls of canned food or baby food or something else really yummy - even some people food.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Big Dog

*cries* oh no.

ok so I tried doing the towel trick. I gave her her favorite treat. She was all read to eat it, but I just can't squirt it in. Now she avoids anything I have in my hands completely, violent jerking around, that my brother could hardly keep her in the blanket.

Then I just got desperate, so tried to blitz it. I gave her the treat, and when she ate it, I squirted her. It was an epic fail, only 10% got in her mouth, the other 90% splashed around her cone-guard thing. This is -impossible!-

Mixing it with food might be the only resort left but I don't really have anything like that around here. I've also looked on website and they say to grab her mouth or something and all that. The technique is incredibly difficult to replicate, it's total fail for now.

This is BAD! Wanta needs to take her pain medication for the spay and the antibiotics, but she is VERY good at avoiding it. It's completely hopeless, she struggles INTENSELY against the syringe even being close to her mouth. I really don't know what to do now, but she needs her meds. I don't see any other way besides forcing her, but even then, I don't know if I could manpower this.

I'm assuming members had to do this before as well. Help would be life-saving right now, for me
Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Can you call the vet and get tablets? They'd be much easier to work with. You can shove them into a ball of canned food or wrap them up in a piece of cheese.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Big Dog

i suspect that the best idea at this point is to use food-trickery. The vet assistants that I got a hold of on the phone were extremely unhelpful. Basically just told me do some sort of dog-pinning trick that didn't work in the slightest bit.

My brother brought up a good point, however. he said that Wanta was probably feeling threatened at this point by having any foreign object near her face. Seemed like deception is the only card left. Like literally mixing it with a high power treat in my hand for example....and bringing it -very slowly- to her, letting her sniff it, and seeing if she'll take the bait.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipunt1 View Post
Mixing it with food might be the only resort left but I don't really have anything like that around here.
I don't see mixing it with food as a last resort. It's my first choice for giving meds.

Can you go to the store and buy something? Do you have ground beef? Sometimes pouring it on kibble with a little water to mix it in - but that usually won't work if the dog's picky, you would need something tastier and more mixable.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I love my Weimaheiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipunt1 View Post
i suspect that the best idea at this point is to use food-trickery. The vet assistants that I got a hold of on the phone were extremely unhelpful. Basically just told me do some sort of dog-pinning trick that didn't work in the slightest bit.

My brother brought up a good point, however. he said that Wanta was probably feeling threatened at this point by having any foreign object near her face. Seemed like deception is the only card left. Like literally mixing it with a high power treat in my hand for example....and bringing it -very slowly- to her, letting her sniff it, and seeing if she'll take the bait.
Immobilize her by kneeling over her, right against a wall, so she can't "back out" of it. You're not sitting on her, just eliminating her escape route. Tilt her head up towards you, restraining her from under her chin. It doesn't take much from this angle, so it's not bad, as far as the "forcing" goes. Stick the syringe in the side of her mouth, while holding her snout shut (so she can't flail and spit it everwhere) then blow in her nose gently before releasing her. It will force her to instinctively swallow.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
- Author Unknown
Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
you would need something tastier and more mixable.
Yeah I was thinking along the lines of using my most high powered treat and squirting the medicine into my palm with it. that way she may slurp up my hand thinking it's part of the treat. this is my #1 plan as of now.

she'll be fattened by lotsa treats for the next week or so, but it's alrite I think