Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Puppy Dog

I'm happy to report that I've been ignorin' the little scamp for about a week (hard to do when he's always within arm's reach) and he's started initiating contact. A little more and I think I may have him swung
Old 10-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Felurian

Way to go!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Active Pup

Jessie,
I see this behavior often when working with K-9's. I work with dominate dogs in my line of work, and this is their way of showing the other who is "top dog". Even with dogs that have been fixed. Even after being fixed, there is still testosterone produced by the dog's body. You can correct the issue by first taking the stuffed animals away. If your dog turns his attention to other objects, just correct him out of the behavior with whatever obedience techniques you have trained him with. Hope this helps,
Joe
Old 10-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Terrier Lover!

I have to admit I had some GOOD chuckles about the stuffed lion humping.... and really just wish that was my problem! My Rat Terrier, Holly just turned 6 months old (and was spayed at 12 weeks by the rescue we adopted her from) but in the past month she has turned into the little "humping monster" at the dog park!

I am SO embarrassed by her behavior, and spend a good portion of time chasing her around to "remove her" from her latest victim! Fortunately, all of the dog owners are understanding (it is an all small dog area.. and there are several "hump monsters" there) but "unfortunately" almost all of the dogs are very tolerant of Holly doing this to them!

When she first started this, she tried it with Lucy, our JRT... and Lucy told her off big time right away, so she doesn't even try it with Lucy now. I don't know if this is connected somehow with Lucy going blind... or it is just some stage Holly is going through. I would like to try something to get my point across more seriously (besides running up to "remove her" each time) but a water bottle would punish the dog she is humping if I try to do "while" she is doing it, and don't know if this would be as effective doing it after I stop her? Any other ideas to try? I'm thinking pull her off and putting her on the leash for a time out might be the best option?

The funny thing is... this little dog at home is an absolute angel! She sits quietly looking so sweet, and always perfectly behaved for a puppy! Get her around other dogs... and she is a wild woman, LOL!

Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Felurian

Sounds like little Holly is letting everyone know who's the boss. And it sounds like maybe she really is, if the other dogs are tolerating it; or they may just be putting up with it because she's still a pup.

The time out on the leash is a good idea, and you might also want to think about getting a good water gun that shoots a straight stream so that you can hit Holly and not her latest victim.

Sounds like you've got a hard-core Terrier there! It's a funny thing, I've noticed that Jack Russells in particular seem to enjoy the company of big dogs more than dogs that LOOK more their own size.

Is Lucy having a good time at the park?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Terrier Lover!

I'll probably try the time out on the leash first! A squirt gun might be a good idea... if I do target practice before using it, just not sure I'd trust my aim!

Yes, Lucy does have a really good time at the park! Lucy is like so many JRT's, and did always prefer big dogs to play with. From the time she was a puppy we went to a large dog park that was big/small dogs together, but when we adopted Holly in July at just under 4 lbs. I decided it was time to change to a new park with a fenced small dog area. Lucy pouted a little at first (she actually had to learn to enjoy the small dogs... since she never gave them the time of day before!) I was so grateful after she went blind that I had made this decision, and she'd had several months to adjusted to the new park, and had made "friends" with the smaller dogs before she lost her sight.

Lucy still runs with the dogs just like before, but lets some of them stay on the outside of her listening to their tags, so she knows she won't run into anything. She has this favorite old tennis ball that is missing half the felt, and has a big crack in it. The dogs all know this is Lucy's favorite ball... so they all want it! They will grab the ball... and run with it... Holly's job (she assigned this to herself!) is to chase the dog that has the ball, and Lucy chases "them" until Holly gets the ball back! Then Holly brings the ball back to Lucy, and they have a little "tug" game they play with the ball before Holly turns it back over to Lucy.... and then they do it all over again!

Old 10-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Felurian

That's one of the sweetest things I've ever heard!

You know, after reading about Holly taking so much responsibility for Lucy's well-being, I can't help but wonder if her dominance seeking is something she's assumed because she is protective of Lucy. She still needs to stop the humping behaviour, of course, but that might give you a little more insight.

Dogs are so much more intelligent and cognitive than most "experts" give them credit for being.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Big Dog

That is such a sweet story! It's great that your dogs have such a bond.

My dog likes to "hump" as well. She's not spayed yet, however. She is only interested in humping during her heat cycle. It's funny because her "object" of choice is my husband's arm! She doesn't make any contact with him, just goes through the motion. I think it has something to do with his being male, because she doesn't do it to me at all. When she's in heat she eyes my husband like a piece of meat. Then if he lays on the floor or props up on his arms, she latches on! She's so small, it looks like she's just jumping up and down on her hind legs, but we know what she's doing!

I think I'm going to try the squirt gun tactic. It sounds like a great idea!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Felurian

And it's a great excuse to "miss" every now and then and soak the hubby . . .
Old 10-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Terrier Lover!

Thanks for your thoughts Renee on the possiblity that Holly's dominance "thing" might be related to Lucy's blindness. Right after Lucy went blind (and right before the humping problem started) Holly also started this thing where as soon as we got out of the car at the dog park she would look at the dogs in the park and start barking this horrible bark (like she was some kind of aggressive guard dog!) but as soon as she would got into the park she was friendly. I let it go the first time she did it (since this little dog is normally abnormally quiet!) thinking she saw something scary... but she continued to do this every time we got out of the car. I had to start making her quiet down before I would take her into the park (it was so embarrassing... like this little 6 lb. dog thinks she is a killer, LOL!)

So... after she had to be quiet to go into the park... is when the humping thing started! I will probably never really know for sure if all this is connected to Lucy being blind, or just a stage she is going through. I do know for sure that Holly just ADORES Lucy! She will just sit and look at her sometimes and you can just see the love in her eyes Before we adopted Holly I had never known a Rat Terrier, and didn't know anything about them. If Holly is an example of what this is... I could have another dozen at least!