Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
The behavior the dog is displaying sounds like a dominance issue to me, the barking upon being "caught in the act" is the dogs way of saying "This is mine!"
I've fostered two dogs that did this (a couple years apart)
One was a female laso apso mix, spayed. I got advice from a trainer and 2 vets for her becuase she even hiked her leg which weirded me out because I'd never heard anything like that at the time. One vet wanted to do x-rays and the whole nine yards. Talked about the genitc issue of having both male and female parts (she didn't) It turned out to be on very dominent little dog...
The other was a male poodle, also fixed...
He stopped right after he attempted to 'hump' my leg. I abruptly knocked him over onto his back, exposing his belly, and 'growled.' I usually don't use this type of correction, but he needed to know that the behaivior was NOT acceptable! (that was the last time I ever saw him 'hump' anything again. And I'm not really suggesting anything like this to anyone, just wanted to share a crazy story! )

I've personally never heard/witnessed about a situation where it wasn't a dominance issue. Its probably more a common behaivior than everyone thinks, just something no one wants to talk about!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-19-2004, 07:31 AM
neko_my_baby_lab

I think it something with small dogs because I have 3 small dogs and they all hump a toy.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Big Dog

My friend's little female spayed yorkie does this on occasion too! I've heard it's because they understand that you're the alpha and they are trying to find something to dominate. Maybe he's just telling the lion "They're my leaders, but you listen to ME!!!" I just about fell off my chair when I read thet he barks when you catch him though!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Felurian

You know, guys, I've been thinking back about all the dogs I've seen and/or dealt with that went through a humping phase, along with the situations they did it in, and I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not always dominance; sometimes it's just pure possessiveness.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Puppy Dog

Whatever it is, it's just sick. I know, it's their nature, but still. This little demon has this stubborn streak a mile wide anyhow (btw, I thought I had him broken of peeing on my side of the bed to mark his territory until last night. I got up to go to the bathroom, and came back to a wet spot.) I love the little brat, but the more he does stuff like this and exemplifies his determination to NOT stop, the less and less I can tolerate him. He goes through spells where you couldn't ask for a better pet, and then he gets all territorial and contrary. I love animals and up until him, had never encountered one, male or female, that I could not get along with and bond with. Now I'm just to the point where I say, it's the boyfriend's dog, and don't even attempt to make up with him.
I have tried the feeding him from my hand, buying him yummy treats, cuddling with him, everything I have ever read anywhere. It all works until he figures out there are no more treats, or I'm busy, and he's at it again. I don't want to complain about him to my boyfriend because I know he loves him dearly and it would be like someone telling you that your kid is the demon spawn of satan, I know it bothers him when the dog and I don't bond and get along. I have just ran out of ideas on how to get the dog to bond and stay bonded.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Felurian

Okay. Different solution. When it happens, wake the boyfriend up and make him change sides. You haven't complained about the dog, but he has to confront the problem, and the dog hasn't accomplished anything. If he won't change sides, take your pillow and make a comfy spot on the couch. After a few times, either the dog will give up, the boyfriend will start addressing the problem (like securing the dog in another room to sleep) or you will have found out just exactly where you are in the pecking order.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress. You may just be dealing with an incorrigible brat who isn't going to straighten up until your boyfriend steps in and backs you up.

Last edited by Renee750il; 09-23-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Are you dead yet?

Oh, I had a HUGE problem with Ripley in adolescence, because we were not bonding at ALL.

Have you taken this dog to obedience classes? Agility class? Find something that you can do with the dog, that not only shows your leadership but that is a special "you and me" time. That's what saved me from selling Ripley, because I honestly had NO bond with that dominant little rat dog.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Puppy Dog

oops.. see next post

Last edited by Baileys; 09-23-2004 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Posted before I was complete, and reposted the other.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Puppy Dog

lol Well thanks for the advice Renee and Grace. Nope, no obedience classes or agility classes. My boyfriend has had him since he was a puppy. When he got Bailey, he had been abused (the dog not the boyfriend ha ha), but that was almost 5 years ago. My boyfriend is very patient with him and overly understanding I think. I also think that maybe I may not be as patient as I could be sometimes due to the fact that this is the first inside dog I have ever lived with.
I'm not used to the temper tantrums and the peeing on the beds and wherever he decides he wants to mark at times. Don't get me wrong, he is a loving dog when he wants to be. I just sometimes get inpatient with the stubborn streak and it drives me nuts. I have also heard from a few people who have owned Daschunds before that they are one owner dogs, and once they bond with that one person, they don't feel the need to bond or attach themselves to anybody else. This I can believe, because the days that he doesn't go to work with my boyfriend, he lays on his little doggy bed like he's on his last leg and pouts and has to be prodded into going outside to potty.

Last edited by Baileys; 09-23-2004 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Still not finished
Old 09-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Felurian

You may have to switch tactics with the dog. Play hard to get. Ignore him. When you feed him, just put the food down and walk off. The one thing all dogs have in common is the absolutely and completely detest being ignored, even by someone they don't particularly give a flip about.