Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Claudia

Hi Jess,

Id like to offer some insight into your dogs behavior from a psychological perspective. Since your dog is neutered and three years old, it seems like this problem is not hormonal. Given that your dog barks when he is caught in the act, he may be starved for attention. If this behavior occurs in the presence of another loved one (either dog or person), this may be a way for your dog to express his jealously. If this is happening in the company of your boyfriend or husband, I would suggest two solutions. First, I would enforce some operant conditioning through your usual means of punishment. If your dog persists after punishment, I would suggest a bolder means of conditioning through psychological warfare.

*Edited for content*

Last edited by Serena; 09-10-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia
Hi Jess,
If your dog persists after punishment, I would suggest a bolder means of conditioning through psychological warfare. . . (edited)
This can only be an attempt at humor.

Last edited by Renee750il; 09-10-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Active Pup

I would die of shock if he needs more attention than he already gets. He is the most pampered dog ever. Quite possibly the creepiest little dog ever too...I just wanted to know if this is normal behavior for a small neutered male, since I have always owned big dogs. I don't think there is a physical problem, since when I hide the victimized toys from him, he doesnt look for a subsitute. I can deal with the toy humping, because I just take them away from him, but I just worry that my friend's 2 year old daughter is going to walk in and find my pretty little dog raping her favourite teddy bear.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Active Pup

This is Quincy
Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie
I would die of shock if he needs more attention than he already gets. He is the most pampered dog ever. Quite possibly the creepiest little dog ever too...I just wanted to know if this is normal behavior for a small neutered male, since I have always owned big dogs. I don't think there is a physical problem, since when I hide the victimized toys from him, he doesnt look for a subsitute. I can deal with the toy humping, because I just take them away from him, but I just worry that my friend's 2 year old daughter is going to walk in and find my pretty little dog raping her favourite teddy bear.
Maybe you could just get some uglier stuffed animals.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Ok this may sound weird but I promise it is true. My friend had a dog when we were in high school who used to hump her teddy bear. That is not the weird part. The dog was a female poodle (she still has her but she is a lot older now seeing that I have been out of high school for 8 years now). I promise I actually saw it happen before. She was fixed also. Someone told me before that it can actually be a dominance thing. Maybe your dog is just wanting to prove to the lion (? ) that he is dominant. Brady did that when he was a puppy right before he was fixed and the vet said he was still too young at the time to do it for the reasons he would have done it when he was older. He said he was just proving his dominance. I don't know if that is true or if he was just trying to convince me my dog was not some happy stuffed animal humper, but it sounded logical. I think.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
watzup_puppy_dog

My dog does the same thing but he isnt desexed. When i try to take the teddy off him he growels at me but i know he isnt going to bite me so i just take it anyway. I think its just a hormone thing lol
Old 09-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Felurian

I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner!

If the stuffed animals are washable, bait his favorite victims with black pepper. Load 'em up where he'll get a snootful when he grabs them to do the deed! He'll learn to ignore them in a hurry.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Active Pup

Thanks everyone for the help, except for you Claudia, and I think it probably is a dominance thing. Maybe it is because he gets mistaken for a girl all the time.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Puppy Dog

Our wiener dog does the same thing, only it's a bull dog that he humps on. The bull dog is fixed and Bailey isn't. It drives me absolutely bonkers when he does it. You can hear him all the way on the other side of the house, he makes this wheezing sound. Ick. Usually when I yell "Bad!" he stops and goes to his bed to pout. The boyfriend says it's just that he's a dominant dog and he's trying to exert his authority over the bull dog. (There is nothing more embarrassing than walking them both at the park and have the wiener dog decide he's gonna start humping on the bull dog in front of everyone. For this reason alone, I never walk them together anymore.) The bulldog tries to get away from him, but after a while, he's so worn out from running that he just falls down on the floor and Bailey's in hog heaven until I catch him and make him stop.
I hope it's just a phase that he grows out of, if not, I think I'll start callin' him Humper instead of Bailey.