Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Default Blow Dryer

I heard that Blow Dryers (are they called that?) make like radio-active waves or something. Is it safe to dry my dog with those after he took a bath? Thanks...

[Edit] Waves not ways, tired sorry

Last edited by Richie12345; 08-01-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Stare at my avatar....

I never heard of that. I dried Belly with a blow dryer once after a bath but I never heard of it harming pups.

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 08-01-2005, 03:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

your pup hasn't got enuff fur to worry about..hehe just towel him dry and then take another towel wrap it around gather him in your arms lay down with him for a little nap he will be toasty warm in 5 minutes or less..and it is always fun to play the towel game (gee i wonder why my dogs love their baths!..i do dry the dogs with the blow dryer if i am in a rush..doesn't hurt them a bit.Truly i don't know how people do it with dogs like chows and old english..i can wash dry and be done in 15 minutes or less two dogs at a time..i was teased by a vet once saying groomers (i did that for one year and that was enuff for me!) always have the dogs with the least hair...i dont miss undercoats one bit!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

I don't think hair dryers are radioactive. If you want to know how it works, here's a link. http://home.howstuffworks.com/hair-dryer.htm
Old 08-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Taco Dog

LOL Smkie! I actually love having one that I can groom! Spud's my little guinea pig! LOL I try new designs or whatever out on him and luckily, he is comfortable enough in his masculinity to be froo frooed up! Precious is just a wash, brush and dry. Takes about 20-30 minutes for her. Spud takes about 1hour for groom/bath/dry/style. Roxy Mae takes just like 5 minutes in all.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

that is what will make you a five star groomer pro47.you obviously love what you do..and i am sure your business will be a sucess because of your attitude! ..it was not for me, i have not the temperment to put up with the people..(it wasn't the dogs that bothered me...ok that prickly hair that gets everywhere making you itchy wasn't any fun! and matts..oh my the matts didn't anyone ever teach their owners what a brush was about.and the ones that say oh no don't cut them out...we dont want his hair cut just work the matts out..that is what made me crazy.) sigh... and i love that rub a towel over victor and your done..he's dry! mary might take hmmm two towels but then that's it.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Taco Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
that is what will make you a five star groomer pro47.you obviously love what you do..and i am sure your business will be a sucess because of your attitude!
Thank you smkie! I need you guys' support very much right now as I need all I can get.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

I heard using hair-dryers aren't good for dogs skin. My dogs scared stiff from the noise. We just use a good old towel for him
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

I couldn't live without a high velocity dryer! I certainly would not have Newfoundland dogs without one. High velocity dryers are safe to use on dogs and blow cool air. It's the best way to get out undercoat and mats.
But, even on low speed they can have too much power to use on a dogs face...so for these dogs we use hand held human dryers, at my Sister's shop we use them spareling for drying dogs faces (breeds that require style). For breeds such as Poodles, Schnauzers, Bichons we use a stand dryer and hand held dryer and brush to straighten, fluff etc. It's hard to get a proper look on some breeds by just toweling them and putting them under a cage dryer. My Sister leaves many of the grooms she does in full coat and she has to blow dry the dogs...especially since she does a lot of dogs for show.

It is important to be careful using a hand held human dryer on a dog especially since even on cool setting they can still run a little too warm. That is my biggest concern is the heat. There are too many people who have burned their dogs with a hand held dryer and that is what I think makes them dangerous.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Are you dead yet?

Never heard of hair dryers being radioactive, but I'm with Athe on the high-velocity dryers! They just blow the water right out of the dog's coat, instead of heating it until it dries, like human dryers do.
I'm a wuss about the heat of a human hair dryer on dogs, the grooming shop has one but I've found that I really prefer to just use the HV dryer's "low" setting for heads and muzzles.