Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I love collies!

Default Lassie

When the word Lassie is used, most people think of the color like my avatar. But guess what I found out last night while reading Lassie Come Home (1940)?
Lassie was a tricolor
Just random info. Nobody's going to reply to this thread, but I just had to share.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Manchesters

Default Don't Think So.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliekid
When the word Lassie is used, most people think of the color like my avatar. But guess what I found out last night while reading Lassie Come Home (1940)?
Lassie was a tricolor
Just random info. Nobody's going to reply to this thread, but I just had to share.
"Pal" which was his real name, and all the "Pals" that have followed were Sables. A Tri-Color Collie is black with tan and white markings. Same black and tan as on a Doberman, only with a white chest and white feets.

There is also the Blue Merle, which was always my favorite color.

Now often Sables will have some black guard hairs around the face area, and even on their backs. Nuttin' wrong with that!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I love collies!

No, I'm just saying, The real Lassie (the book Lassie) is a tricolor. Everyone thinks of Lassie as a sable.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Felurian

Ah, the book! You've made me very happy to know that you READ

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Manchesters

Default Real Lassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliekid
No, I'm just saying, The real Lassie (the book Lassie) is a tricolor. Everyone thinks of Lassie as a sable.
Ya gotta learn to distinguish between fictional and real, roflmbo. The fictional Lassie was a tricolor. The REAL Lassie was a live dogger, who was sable, rofl. Got it??!!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:34 PM
yuckaduck

I have read the book too and it does say tri coloured, and yes in the movie it is a sable. Sometimes books don't always match the movie. Look at Man On Fire. ******SPOILER ALERT*******if you have not watched it or read it don't continue reading unless you want to know what happens.

In the movie the little girl[Pita]'s life is traded for John Creasy's life and he dies she does not.
In the book Creasy finds Pita's dead assulted body in the trunk of a car and then takes his revenge. He lives because he is on a ferry at the end under an assumed identity.

Books and movies are not always the same.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Felurian

If you think about it in terms of fictional/real, there was NO real Lassie - that canine actor wasn't Lassie at all . . . he just played her on camera, lol!

Semantics-wise, I guess we should differentiate between the original Lassie character and the screen version

But, I like the fact that Colliekid considers the book to be the real source of Lassie. How many even know, let alone remember that the character came from a book, not a TV show?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-14-2005, 04:41 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
If you think about it in terms of fictional/real, there was NO real Lassie - that canine actor wasn't Lassie at all . . . he just played her on camera, lol!

Semantics-wise, I guess we should differentiate between the original Lassie character and the screen version

But, I like the fact that Colliekid considers the book to be the real source of Lassie. How many even know, let alone remember that the character came from a book, not a TV show?
Very few because people watch movies rather than reading. I always get frustrated and find myslef saying well that was a dumb movie because if there is a book I read it first before watching the movie.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Manchesters

Default Hey!!!! Colliekid!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il

Get thee hence to a library, and check thee out as many of Albert Payson Terhune's books as you can find. He raised collies and wrote all about them. Like "Sunnybank Lad", "Further Adventures Of Lad", "Wolf", etc, etc, etc. Many are funny as heck, even more because they are true!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Manchesters

Default Be Technical!!!!!!

So OK, the LIVE Lassie was a sable. Guess who is standing here with her front paws on my leg and tail wagging 2000 mph??!!! TWIT. She must have known I was writing about her, rofl. Oh heck, Birdy Girl just came over and pushed Twit aside. They are worse than kids when the mom gets on the phone!!! They figure they have me trapped.