Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

Get a Newfoundland. They are great with kids. A very gentle breed. On the downside, they shed a lot and are big in size. Also, they like colder climates.
I own a boxer by the way and they are fun.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

I've had experiences with both breeds . We had a Boxer before we had children and decided to go Golden ( my choice before the Boxer --- husband wanted a more " macho " breed ) My kid's Labs were great with kids ... but I like a more layed back breed ! There's never a dull moment with boxers and Labs .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Of the two, I'd say get the Lab, but from a good breeder and consider the "English" type (the ones with the heavy otter tail and blocky head). The only thing is, all Labs can be very mouthy as puppies, but that goes away with correct training, and not letting them practice it. The field Labs and Boxer pups, unless you get a particularly quiet one, are a bit much for toddlers, who are easily knocked over once the pup gets a few months old and plays more rambunctiously. Newfs ARE great with kids, but not everyone can deal with the drool - some of them are very messy that way.
You know he's on the level.
~Author Unknown

I don't whisper - I translate!

Paws for Praise - Make a Tail Wag!
http://www.pawsforpraise.com
Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Boxer Buddy

I guess i would vote boxer, but for many of the reasons people say not too..lmao...

Most boxer puppies though exuberant are definitely different than a lab puppy. My boxer babies have always been careful and easy with kids, but can still be HAPPY and outgoing..

I would say research, talk to alot of breeders and find exactly what you are looking for, don't settle.
S

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Personally, I prefer labs. My first dog was a lab mix so they will always have a special place in my heart. And I've worked with a lot of boxers, and my main "issue" with them is that they like to paw a lot (hence the name, BOXER). Pawing is one of my pet peeves. On the other hand, labs (especially puppies) tend to be very mouthy, which is my other pet peeve.

Personally, I don't think I'd go with either breed if I had young kids. I just feel like a more laid-back breed might be a better option. But that's just me. If you do decide ot go with a boxer or lab, I'd HIGHLY suggest getting a young adult dog from a rescue. They are both incredibly popular breeds and should be easy to find in rescues, and most rescues foster dogs in people's homes so you can have a good idea of whether the dog will be suitable for you before you adopt the dog.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Love my pets

You haven't met my lab; she paws all the time.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Boxer Buddy

Here is where it isn't the BREED that is the only issue, but the training/owner.

I have a female here that is 19 mos. she is very laid back, but she is playful. She knows commands that allow her to play and when to stop.

As for the boxing/pawing alot....that is with other dogs more so than people and playing with people. I can't say that my dogs have that issue, yes i am sure it is present with some, but boxing is usually reserved for Play.

Whatever your choice, the TRAINING and the direction from you is going to shape this dog into whatever it is going to become.

S

Old 03-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Living on Doberman Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiqa View Post
Thank you to all of you for your answer. I still not sure witch breed I want, I llike them both, but I already start to look on internet for breeder (boxer and lab) and also rescue & spca.

I will do my homework... and I may have more question!

abiqa
May I suggest not looking on the Internet as your sole source of finding a good breeder, but instead going to some dog shows and watching dogs show (in obedience and performance). Using the Internet, find out where shows are
Jack Onofrio Dog Shows, LLC Home Page, InfoDog -* The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information* AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services
and go find the breed clubs website to learn more information about them.
If you are interested in a rescue you should go here : Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and see all the Labs and Boxers in need, they are popular breeders and many rescues really need a home. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

I have your answer!!

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13250872
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13257053
Adopt a Boxer: Chloe: Petfinder

And there are more...a lot more.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Show Dog

Default Labs

I have never owned a Boxer but love the breed. I have never met a Boxer I did not like. Labs are great dogs but their is a lot of backyard breeding of labs. I assume Boxers as well but it seems it gets really out of hand with labs. Folks breed them to make a quick buck without doing a lot of research. As a result I have met a few labs I was not crazy about.

Labs shed a lot. I assume Boxers shed a bit as well but their hair seems so much shorter and not as a big of an issue.

Either way, go to a good breeder and get a great dog or help out at a rescue and get to know a dog before you adopt. They are both really good breeds when bred right.