Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
What are dalmations' unique dietary needs?
I was going to ask the same! Veeeerrryyy interesting.

I also feed veggies. More for my own peace of mind than anything. I feed multi-vitamins, fish body oils/vit E, Garlic, Kelp, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Spinach/Leafy Greens and Carrots regularly. They also get all sorts of over-ripe fruits. I keep supplements to under 10-20%, but variety and nutrient-dense foods are super beneficial, being that most farm-raised meats lack a lot of nutrients found in wild/free-range meats.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
What are the nightshade veggies? I have heard of it before but it has slipped my mind.
White potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers.

They aren't toxic unless they're green (unripe) or you are eating the green parts of the plant but I avoid them all the same.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I was going to ask the same! Veeeerrryyy interesting.

I also feed veggies. More for my own peace of mind than anything. I feed multi-vitamins, fish body oils/vit E, Garlic, Kelp, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Spinach/Leafy Greens and Carrots regularly. They also get all sorts of over-ripe fruits. I keep supplements to under 10-20%, but variety and nutrient-dense foods are super beneficial, being that most farm-raised meats lack a lot of nutrients found in wild/free-range meats.
Pretty much what I do. Oh, and Bella gets oatmeal, too.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Walks into Mordor

Mine get almost no veggies right now. I give them some on rare occassions, but not that often. I bet it's maybe 1% of their diet, if that. It hasn't seemed to make any difference in their health.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I do not pulp vegetables for my dogs. The vegetables they get are the incidental left overs from our table. I do try to concentrate on green veggies.

Some things to note:

Sweet potatoes and spinach and its green leafy relatives are high in oxalic acid. They should be fed rather sparingly.

Cruciferous vegetables (all those in the cabbage family, including brocolli, cauliflour, bok choy, etc) can suppress thyroid function in dogs if given in larger amounts, so these should be fed intermittently as well.

And finally, starchy vegetables that are high in sugar, like carrots, sweet potatoes, beets etc should also not be given too often.

Variety is important, and so is limiting the cruciferous and starchy vegetables. It helps to keep in mind sometimes the prey model, as what wild canids would eat include stomach contents of herbivores, and wild fruits etc in season, most of the time very ripe.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
<----Thanks Allie

My dogs eat veggies a few times a week... but it's always leftovers from my own dinner. So, they get a little bit of everything.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

I don't give Molly vegetables. I'm not opposed to her having them, just don't feel she needs them.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
woop

I don't feed veggies as part of their diet. I will occasionally give them carrots as a snack because they really like carrots, but I don't puree or cook anything for them. Every veggie that goes in comes right back out in a similar looking piece because of that, so I'm pretty sure they don't get anything out of what little they get.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

I don't do many veggies for ours. Once in a while they'll get some leftovers mixed in with their food but it's a small amount and not very often. I give Daisy leftover potatoes sometimes to add bulk to her meal because she eats so much. Plain white rice for the same reason.

I use canned green tripe and Evo red meat or TOTW once a week to help round out any nutrients I might miss with their raw food.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Very Food Agressive

Dalmations have something wrong with how they process protein from what I was told the other night. Something about Purines o.O Apparently it's better to keep them on a lower protein diet!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.