Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Default Those that feed raw..do you feed veggies?

So, now that I have a good grinder and freezer the switch to homemade raw is finally going to happen! Woohoo!

How many of you feed veggies with your raw? Is it an important part of the diet? Why or why not?

Those that do feed veggies how often do you feed them?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM
just call me Nilly

For the dog, yes - but not much. *maybe* 10%

For the cats, no.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Show Dog

This is from the BARF website:

"Dogs have actually eaten vegetables the whole period of their evolution, and that's a long time! As such, vegetables, particularly green leafy vegetables should form part of the domestic dog's healthy diet. Dogs need vegetables because they contain many important health promoting nutrients. The fiber your dog obtains from raw vegetables includes both soluble and insoluble fiber. Vegetables supply many other nutrients. Many of those nutrients are the ones that have been found to be in short supply in the modern dog's "civilized" diet. This includes difficult to obtain omega 3 essential fatty acids, most of a dog's vitamin needs, masses of enzymes and various anti-aging factors, including antioxidants and phytochemicals."

It goes on to mention the specific benefits of certain fruits and veggies. Here's the link: BARF World

WE also add sweet potatoes, blueberries, strawberries, and cabbage to the list provided by BARF. It is never the same combo, I try to change it up. You have to watch the cabbage and broccoli because it will give them gas. I run the raw fruit and vegies through the food processor into a fine puree'. My dogs get a 1/4 cup of the puree' with each meal regardless of RMB or kibble.

I know some RAW feeders that don't use any vegies at all. I guess it is personal preference. My dogs do very well with it, so I don't suspect that I will change anytime soon.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM
BusterLove

I do, Buster likes veggies. I did meat-only for a couple of months and he really wasn't thriving on it. All our dogs graze on grass so I'm happy adding vegies.

Buster now is getting mostly meat, some veggies and some kibble and doing great on it.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisssAshby View Post
So, now that I have a good grinder and freezer the switch to homemade raw is finally going to happen! Woohoo!

How many of you feed veggies with your raw? Is it an important part of the diet? Why or why not?

Those that do feed veggies how often do you feed them?
I do feed veggies - the amount varies with each dog. My Dals get as much as 50% of their diet in veggies. The other dogs usually get less than that, probably about 20%. I feed veggies every day, and it is an important part of the Dals' diet, less so the other dogs.

However, my dogs eat more veggies than most other raw-fed dogs get, due to the Dalmatians' unique dietary needs.
Skiddy, All-American adorable red cattledog mix

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

What vegetables do you feed? Could you list some examples? I already feed carrots sometimes, but what else is there that is not harmful to the dog and that the dog will want to eat?
I also give my dog some fruits like bananas, apples, and sometimes even seedless tangerines .
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
just call me Nilly

spinach and other leafy greens, squash, carrots, green beans, peas, cranberries, blueberries, melon, and apple are what usually end up in my mix.

The only thing I try to limit are nightshade family veggies, and obviously those that are known to be toxic.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Puppy Dog

The veggies I feed include carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, collards, kale, cabbage, lettuce (non-iceberg), broccoli, and turnip greens. Fruits I feed include melon (excepting watermelon), blueberries, blackberries, apples, bananas, pears, and strawberries.

I vary what goes into my veggie mix depending on what's on sale at the store - I make it up a week at a time.

I will also give my dogs oatmeal - one of my dogs does better with a bit of oatmeal or barley added into his diet.
Skiddy, All-American adorable red cattledog mix

Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

What are the nightshade veggies? I have heard of it before but it has slipped my mind.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9waggingtails View Post
However, my dogs eat more veggies than most other raw-fed dogs get, due to the Dalmatians' unique dietary needs.
What are dalmations' unique dietary needs?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team