Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Active Pup

Default New Member

Hello All,
my BF & I got a puppy last weekend - she's a Lab/Aussie mix. Today she is 10 weeks old. I crate her a night & it was going so well until last night. She usually cries a little bit but settles down very quickly. Last night was different: she cried for about an hour & before that she pooped in it (which she usually doesn't do). I don't know if it's because she was uncomfortable from the shots she got at the vet today or the fact that my BF's 10 year old son was introduced to her for the first time that afternoon. It just seemed like she was so restless the entire evening/night & maybe couldn't settle down to sleep?

Any insight on this? Other than that she's doing quite well with her potty training.

cheers!
R
Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Welcome to chazhound! And congrats on your new puppy!

I'd say that the restlessness last night was because of the vet visit and possibly because of the vaccinations. That is a very big day for a puppy - the vet's office is an interesting and scary place, and it probably kinda blew her mind a bit. So she had a stressful day to begin with, and then she was probably sore from the shots she got and had a hard time getting comfortable.

Hopefully it won't become a habit now.... but if she continues again tonight let us know and we can see what else we can figure out to fix it!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the input. I thought that she might be somewhat sore...hopefully she'll be ok tonight
Old 02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Welcome to chazhound!

How big is the crate? If the crate is too large, then dogs feel they can go on one end of the crate and avoid it. Most large dog crates have walls you can insert to make the inside smaller, and widen it as they get older and larger.

Also, how long do you make her hold it before taking her out to potty?
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Active Pup

I have one of those crates with the divider. Right now, she can get up & turn around. I generally let her out after about 3-4 hrs (at night). However, she seems to sleep longer periods now. She does feel comfy with her crate as she will go in by herself during the day & take a nap.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
swimming upstream

welcome! Would love to see pics. of your pup!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Active Pup

Not sure it's not working, but i've tried to attach a pic.