Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

The one thing I would add if that at 6 wks of age, since the pups don't have their mother, they NEED each other and should remain together as a litter until at least 8 wks of age. They should also have their first vacc's before they go anywhere else. They should also not be moved to another location until the new vacc's have a change to build immunitities which should take about 2 wks.
By add a SMALL fee for adoption it should cover costs for the vacc's and other things until they are ready to go.
Agreed screening is the most important part of placing puppies and not the price or even if there is a price.
Agreed that they should have a s/n contract.
Another thing to do, no reason they can't be adopted out now, but they don't go to their new home for a few weeks for the reasons posted above.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

Good post!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

I have free dogs too. But I still don't recommend advertising puppies for free. Just because responsible people like the people on this forum have gotten dogs for free and take wonderful care of them, doesn't mean every other Tom, Dick, and Harry will, and should be trusted.

Nobody is saying ALL dogs that were free are valued any less. There are just irresponsible people out there who yes, ruin it for everyone. Who want a dog NOW, and don't want to pay any money for it. SO they look for free dogs.

You could always advertise them WITH an adoption fee, and see who emails you. And let them know, the adoption fee is negotiable.

I still had my comments about the fact these puppies don't have a clean bill of health, and are being given away possibly sick. And unvaccinated.

Quote:
Puppy number 1 went to a local lady who is preparing to say goodbye to her two elderly chihuahas. I hope the puppy comforts her during the difficult times.
Who adopts a dog when they have two dying dogs? That isn't the situation I would ever adopt a dog out to.

Quote:
Or are you just going to keep posting, doing whatever it is you do, without giving acknowledgement to all of the people giving their time and expertise to help you find better homes for the dogs that you continue to rescue?
Bigdogs so far has not listened to anyone, absolutely no one. He/she hasn't answered questions.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post

Who adopts a dog when they have two dying dogs? That isn't the situation I would ever adopt a dog out to.
We got Pepe very shortly after losing Lucky....my mom's idea, I wasn't really ready, but some people do move on quickly and it did make it easier to cope with the pain.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

I don't mean AFTER a dog has died, I completely understand that. But the two dogs are STILL alive! If they are in such horrible shape that the person is preparing for their deaths, why adopt a puppy?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't mean AFTER a dog has died, I completely understand that. But the two dogs are STILL alive! If they are in such horrible shape that the person is preparing for their deaths, why adopt a puppy?
My MIL is looking to get a puppy. Her current dog probably still has a year or two in him, but she doesn't want to feel like she's replacing him. She wants to get another dog before he goes.

To each and all their own...not going to disagree with how we handle difficult situations.

That being said, bigdogs...I would HIGHLY recommend either tightening your screening process, or charging a small, reasonable fee for the pups. And whichever you choose, I think the spay/neuter contract is a fantastic idea.

I really hope you read these posts and think about them. I truly believe you're trying to do good by these dogs, and everyone who's responded is only trying to help you be more successful.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My MIL is looking to get a puppy. Her current dog probably still has a year or two in him, but she doesn't want to feel like she's replacing him. She wants to get another dog before he goes.
Again, that is completely different then having two dogs who are supposedly in such bad shape they are not expected to live.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

I think the situation is she's going to pts her elderly dogs [which lots of people do], nothing was said about any illness....we don't know the situation, so why nit-pick at it unless we know everything about this lady? Who knows could be a great home for the puppy.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

Well, you don't put two dogs asleep unless something is wrong with them medically.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well, you don't put two dogs asleep unless something is wrong with them medically.
I've known people put down dogs for being blind, or not affording meds, or joint problems and they don't want to deal with the expenses. Or just because they're old