Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
I don't value my free dogs any less than I do Pepe. I seriously don't understnd why a dog tht you pay for even for a million dollrs is more 'valuable' than a dog you get for free? This isn't shoes we're talking bout, its a life...I don't think you acn put price value on life.

I do my dogs to the vet, get their vaccinations, buy dog food, ect.

I DO have money for dogs, otherwise I wouldn't have them, but seriously not having to of paid anything for Princess the day I got, meant I could of paid my cell phone bill and buy her a new dog bed and spoil her more than I could of had I paid for her.
No one said it was 'you' personally. You as the general public. I don't know but they do. If you pay $200 for a pair of shoes people tend to look after them better than if they paid $10. I have actually heard people dis their 'free or low cost dog' simply because it was free. I have heard them say its not worth spending lots of money on vet fees because "well its a free dog after all ... I love him but I can get another (umm no you don't..) Its the same people who spend tonnes of money on a designer dog. If you spend 1000 dollars on it, it must be better than the one in the kill shelter

No one said it made sense. But I have met enough otherwise nice normal people who are like this.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

In a case on my CL...someone rehomes his pit bull for free, because of a new baby.

The person he gave it to, rehomed him, but asked for money. BUT even though this scumbag did this the dog DID find a good home, even through the whole mess of being rehomed TWICED.

But then came people posting the horrid 'facts' that dogs given up for free like the first owner did are most likely to be found a terrible home or used for bait, ect...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
No one said it was 'you' personally. You as the general public. I don't know but they do. If you pay $200 for a pair of shoes people tend to look after them better than if they paid $10. I have actually heard people dis their 'free or low cost dog' simply because it was free. I have heard them say its not worth spending lots of money on vet fees because "well its a free dog after all ... I love him but I can get another (umm no you don't..) Its the same people who spend tonnes of money on a designer dog. If you spend 1000 dollars on it, it must be better than the one in the kill shelter

No one said it made sense. But I have met enough otherwise nice normal people who are like this.
Yes that's some people for you, but I've also heard success stories about 'free dogs' even on sites like CL and that's the general public too...I still don't see the point of the whole hysteria of OMG DON'T GIVE YOUR DOG UP FOR FREE and that it WILL be found a terrible home if you do.

I bet the OP can GOOD homes for the pups, even as 'freebies'

There are people tht never brought dog in their life nd never will nd seek these sort of ds, but doesn't men they don't spoil their dogs, becuse they've gotten 'free' dogs.

I mean if we're comparing dogs to shoes as I guess some people do...if you found an ad for some free coach shoes, never used and some never used coach shoes for retail price....people are going to go for the free shoes. Though now your job is screening though the ones who really wants one and will take good car eof the shoes & treasure them for long time and the people who really wnt one, but would throw them away after a few uses. But the person with the retail price shoes, could careless as long as they get the money for the shoes! Sometimes sadly thats some people's attitude with rehoming dogs and charging fees for them.

Last edited by Juicy; 02-16-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

My dogs were both free, too. And if they weren't, I couldn't have gotten them. I think giving dogs away for free may increase the risk they will get bad homes, but this can be counterbalanced by diligence in vetting potential owners.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
My dogs were both free, too. And if they weren't, I couldn't have gotten them. I think giving dogs away for free may increase the risk they will get bad homes, but this can be counterbalanced by diligence in vetting potential owners.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogs View Post
I hope that one or more of the puppies gets a new home today!!
This worries me more than the free issue.

In three days time, you have no idea what their health is. Have you screened the adopters? How old are the pups? They look too young to be leaving their littermates.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
BigDogs

Puppy number 1 went to a local lady who is preparing to say goodbye to her two elderly chihuahas. I hope the puppy comforts her during the difficult times.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

If you give dogs away for free you are more likely to have people who don't value them
See I flat out disagree with this, and actually I hate it when people say that ( No Offense )I have known more dogs that were purchased that have been treated poorly than ones that friends or myself have gotten for *free* I know many, many friends who have dogs from various situations that were free and they are not less valued in any way....

People who will treat a dog poorly because it is free, will treat a dog poorly period... Good owners are not going to treat a dog better because it cost 1000's of dollars... That way of thinking really falls apart when you are involved in large parrot rescue, some of these birds have set their owners back thousands and thousands of dollars and they sit neglected and ignored in spare rooms and basements.....

As has been said, meeting the new owners and checking them out is what matters, not the price on the puppy....
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Wookie Collie

BigDogs, are you listening to what anyone says, and if so, are you willing to entertain their ideas and possibly let us know what changes you are making to your rescue practices for the better of the dogs you are rescuing?

Or are you just going to keep posting, doing whatever it is you do, without giving acknowledgement to all of the people giving their time and expertise to help you find better homes for the dogs that you continue to rescue?

I'm not trying to bash, I fel these are valid and important questions to most of us.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
RedyreRottweilers

For LEGAL REASONS, SOME fee should be charged in order to validate a sales transaction. It can be a very small fee, but there should be a fee.