Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
I also rather feel that the OP cannot do anything right on this board, and it frustrates me a bit, I mean are any of us perfect? I have always found Chaz a fun place to be, but it seems to me rather than trying to give constructive advice, and acknowledge that not all of us would make identical choices, posters are being ridiculed and attacked for helping animals in need.... Wow.....

Chaz is a fun place... but its main goal is to help with animal related problems and give advice... I did not ridicule or attack at all... I gave some advice... giving pups out for free is a bad idea... I gave one idea (donation to shelter), and Red gave another, admittedly better idea (cost of spay/neuter)...

BigDogs... no one is suggesting you lie about these dogs whereabouts... just try and make their futures a little better... you took on the responsibility of finding them new homes, now you should at least attempt to do it the right way. Red gave you a great contract, there are parts you will not agree with, there are some I dont agree with, I suggest you take her contract and modify it to fit your beliefs and then vet new homes that way...there really is no point in rescueing these pups if they all end up back in the shelter. It may take more time this way but it will be more rewarding when you know you have handed them over to good, long term homes. Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
The Tragedy of Free to Good Home

Why pets shouldn't be given away for free.
not always...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
there really is no point in rescueing these pups if they all end up back in the shelter.
^THIS.

You took on the responsibility of these puppies, so do it right!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
not always...
No not always. Doesn't mean it isn't a possibility many people haven't ever thought of though.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
RedyreRottweilers

The thing is, if you get enough money from the people who are getting the puppies to cover the S/N operation, and promise them the money back upon proof of S/N you will almost certainly have near 100% compliance. This means no accidental breedings, and no more puppies added to the shelter system.

If on top of that you agree to take back and rehome at any time if they can't keep the dog, then you will also likely prevent these puppies ending up in a shelter.

Put a note on the BB at your local vets, and talk to your vet about what kind of a deal they will make you on a package of 11 S/Ns. I bet you can get a very good deal, and then you can just charge that amount for the puppies.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
We are Home.

actually i think its the 11 and these puppies? So that would most likely get you a discount

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

I've gotten dogs for free............yep I'm using my dogs for bait and having them taken to labs for animal testing.

I gave Louie and Valentino's other siblings for free.....yup terrible choice! Even though the owners followed up on vaccinations, spoilage, and s/n.

My sister brought her dogs from pet stores for THOUSANDS of dollars, they've been used for breeding, and she is what you would called an 'irresponsible owner'.

Then there are people that buy dogs for fashion statements get carried around 24/7 and the dogs lose muscle mass because of it.

Dog fighters? They purchase champion dogs worth thousands of bucks, why would they want a dog-friendly pet dog that will be deem worthless in the pit? These people CAN pay for a dog, I mean really if they can afford Impala's with 22' rims, they sure enough can spend a couple few bucks on a dog. As for bait, living in a low-income area, I have yet to hear people mention this when it comes to 'training', its usually either they've got it or they don't and those dogs are deemed breeding dogs to pull in more money.

Seriously people, putting a price tag on a dog does not ensure it a good home. Good screening can better ensure one than a $50 rehoming fee.

But if I were to of charged people for the puppies, then I'm a byb only looking in profitting of them

Last edited by Juicy; 02-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Just try me..

I think its an over all thing.

If you give dogs away for free you are more likely to have people who don't value them (and Jess I know you love Chloe with all your heart.. but we on Chaz are NOT normal ) If you charge high prices some people feel the need to earn that money back. IME if you charge a small amount you discourage those who want a dog to resell, to use as bait, to sell to research companies etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't value my free dogs any less than I do Pepe. I seriously don't understand why a dog that you pay for even for a million dollars is more 'valuable' than a dog you get for free? This isn't shoes we're talking about, its a life...I don't think you acn put price value on life.

I do my dogs to the vet, get their vaccinations, buy dog food, ect.

I DO have money for dogs, otherwise I wouldn't have them, but seriously not having to of paid anything for Princess the day I got, meant I could of paid my cell phone bill and buy her a new dog bed and spoil her more than I could of had I paid for her.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Ho ho ho off.

My dog was free.......
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein