Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Yorkie Love

Red's idea is good too... just giving away puppies for free often brings out the wrong kinds of homes... not always but more often then not... you also want the potential owner to start thinking about the costs right from the beginning.

I agree about the fence IV.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
We are Home.

and the OB classes. I owner trained Walker like many here have done. Im not attackying by any means I think all dogs should be traiined but what about owner training?

J/W that popped out at me

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Requiring classes is requiring socialization, in a nutshell. That is why I include it in all my contracts.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
We are Home.

i see that point, all our socialization was between rescue days and home depot and with the pitties they were ALWAYS with us.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Never, ever advertise puppies for free! I can see these puppies being used for breeding by someone in the future! I thought you were involved with a rescue? Rescues don't just let puppies go for free to any ol' person who calls. Shouldn't they be vet checked? Did you give them any vaccinations? ( i volunteer for a rescue. Puppies are vaccinated and dewormed, and never put on Petfinder until a few days after they receive them. That is so they can be checked over for disease, make sure everyone is healthy and didn't have any reactions to the vaccine. So that you are not sending a sick puppy to anyone . And to make sure they don't add to the overpopulation, they are spayed/neutered before being adopted (Whether anyone agrees with early s/n or not, its better that then they get bred and even more puppies end up at the shelter).
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
BigDogs

Never advertise dogs for free?

I don't have a clue as to what kind of puppies these are. Someone said they might be part lab, someone else they might be part GSD, someone else said they might be part Border Collie, someone else said they might be terrier. I'm not going to start making wild guesses in an attempt to sell them as something that they are not. They are advertised as free mystery puppies. People are taking a chance by adopting any of them.

Nobody seemed to know much about them. I'm not putting money into them, besides deworming them...unless they are here for a while, then I would start vaccinating them. And god forbid that I should make any type of profit from it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

Bigdogs, do you understand what people are telling you? An ADOPTION FEE, NOT SELLING. Nobody is saying label them as a purebred german shepherd and make a profit off of them.

You should NEVER advertise puppies for free. This is a rescue term, its called an adoption fee. To weed out bad people.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
RedyreRottweilers

If you are going to advertise, advertise FREE SPAY NEUTER. Then explain that the sales fee will be returned once proof of spay/neuter is provided. Often you may get local vets to work WITH you and provide a reduced rate if they know they are going to get 11 S/N clients that will likely also turn into long term clients. Speak to the vet you use about this. They might even offer you a "coupon" or something like that to give to the puppy people.

Anyone who can't afford to pay $200 or so for a new pet IMO will also not be likely to be able to properly provide for it. Dogs require food, vet care, fencing, training, and etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

The Tragedy of Free to Good Home

Why pets shouldn't be given away for free.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Not sure I agree 100% I have a *freebie* and while I see the possibility of bad homes, many people happily fork over big bucks to abandon and not look after high priced pets as well. I have a friend who is very, very limited financially but has taken in a free dog, by not paying for her dog she is able to set aside that purchase money toward care and vetting her dog.

I think you need to screen homes, period..... I think that the attitude that an animal is disposable does not always come from what you pay for it, but rather a persons beliefs about animals.

I also rather feel that the OP cannot do anything right on this board, and it frustrates me a bit, I mean are any of us perfect? I have always found Chaz a fun place to be, but it seems to me rather than trying to give constructive advice, and acknowledge that not all of us would make identical choices, posters are being ridiculed and attacked for helping animals in need.... Wow.....