Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Squishy face

Default My past favorite FOHA dogs

This trip through memory lane in my photobucket got me nostalgic, and I've decided to make a thread to post my past favorite FOHA dogs over these five years I've been volunteering; those dogs that I will always remember, the dogs that took a piece of me when they left.

First, there was Cathy. She was a happy, playful young dog who was a little bit mouthy. I used to take her into the play area all the time to play with a large jolly ball (the ball no longer exists, it got torn to pieces some time ago). She was adopted, then came back because the Doberman (the family's other dog) decided he didn't like her and ripped open her head. Cathy was unfazed. She was still dog friendly, and was later adopted to another home with a dog where she still lives.

Then, there was Logan. He was found on a dark and stormy night running down the street. His owners were never found. Logan was always very people friendly, but when he first came to FOHA Logan was VERY dog reactive, to the point he would try to get at other dogs through his kennel. Through work, he was actually able to play with other dogs, and was adopted to a home with a pit/beagle mix where he still lives.

And there was Dixie, I called her my "Dixie-doodle". She was at FOHA a long time. She was easily overlooked for some reason. Even the lead volunteers would ask me who she was each week. But she was sweet, agile and smart. She was DA, which also contributed to the length of her stay.

MORE

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Squishy face

Of course there was Mico, dear Mico. He had been kept in a crate for 22 hours a day during his puppyhood, and then surrendered to a kill shelter from which FOHA pulled him. His previous owners somehow found out we had him, and wanted him back! They didn't get him though! The lack of socialization had left him very dog reactive on leash, and quite shy of men. I used to take him out and just go sit with him somewhere and he would sit on me and we would cuddle. I worked on his dog reactivity and he slowly got better. He was adopted to a home with a dachshund.

Of course, there was Sargent Sammy (I just called him Sammy). He was my sweet, silly, cuddly, adorable ball-chasing dumbhead. He now lives with a retired couple as the only dog (he is DA) getting spoiled rotten. I still miss him.

MORE

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!

Last edited by Sweet72947; 02-12-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Squishy face

And there was Gatsby. He was an incorrigible teenage dog, full of spunk and fire. For that reason he took a while to get adopted.

I loved his eyes. I fell into them when he looked at me all cutely.

Haha, and there was Bing. Never could get a good pic of him, he was afraid of cameras.

MORE

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Squishy face

Oops, how could I forget Allen? He was my FIRST favorite FOHA dog. He was a great boy.

Hehe, and Andre slobberbutt. I always did like the bigheaded dum dums.

And sweet Joplin, boy could he PULL on a leash! I made some progress with him though before he went to foster care.

Homer Jess, dear adorable houndy dog. He's in a foster home, recovering from hip surgery. The home will officially adopt him after all that is over with.

MORE

Last edited by Sweet72947; 02-12-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Squishy face

And Freckles, such a sweetheart.

And of course, that brings me to my current favorites, Opie

And Juno.

There are some I didn't post, because I have no pictures of them. There is one named Calypso, she was a rottweiler. She had been left abandoned in a yard when her people moved, and had an embedded collar wound repaired sometime by the shelter before FOHA took her in. I remember when I first went to walk her, she had eyes full of fear. She never offered an ounce of aggressive behavior though.
Toward the end of her stay at FOHA, I remember how I used to let her out of her run and she'd jump around with happiness and stick her head right through the slip lead loop raring to go for a walk.

So many memories.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Felurian

That was great, Cristy

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That was great, Cristy
Glad you liked it.

That's the part of rescue work that seems to turn people off more than the cruelty at times, having to love them and then let them go.

But I can't wait to see who steals my heart next! I tend to be drawn to the dogs with issues, and to the "underdogs".

I remembered somebody else I forgot to list! JJ, a black lab mix. I noticed this black dog who used to wait until last to get walked, and sometimes he wouldn't get walked at all! I started walking him, and discovered what a sweet, sweet thing he was. He did have some reactivity on the leash, and jumpy and mouthiness problems, but I loved him anyway. That's what I tend to do though, I tend to go for the dogs nobody else wants to walk, or the dogs that get ignored.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire!

It's great that you like the underdog! Someone has to... and if it weren't for you some of those dogs would probably STILL be there with fear or pain in their hearts preventing them from finding their forever homes.

Thanks to Sizzledog for le Siggy D'AWESOME!
Abusing Animals and Feeding CRAP since.... ALWAYS!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Aw, that was so nice. Those animals are so lucky to have had you in their lives.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Very Food Agressive

I'll always love the underdogs and the runts. Probably because I'm so short myself that I'm familiar with being overlooked and underestimated. I love all the pictures, great stories!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.