Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Default Quick question: I'm out of dog food

I feed Nature's Variety Praire kibble and I finished the last bag yesterday. My UPS shipment isn't expected for a few days and the only store where I can buy it is closed (closes at 12 now instead of 3...yay ).

So now I have to go to Petsmart or Petco and buy something from there (which I tend to avoid). So what should I get? Blue Buffalo Wildnerness? What is Avoderm like? And what in the hell is Castor and Pollux?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Top Dog

Avoderm is what Lucy's shelter feeds. They recommended we got her off of it quickly after adopting her, because while it's good, there are obviously better. She had messy stools on it, but I'd attribute that as much to the stress of being in a shelter than to the food.

Really though, if it's only a few days, is it a big worry? All those foods are pretty good, from what people have said on here.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

I'd feed the Blue Buffalo Wilderness if I had to get it from those stores. I actually fed it to my cats for a while and they did well on it. I really only switched because it is more expensive than some better quality brands.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I really only switched because it is more expensive than some better quality brands.
I noticed that. It's $46 for a 26 lb bag. Wierd. I do think that's what I am going to go with, but I need to figure out if 2 bags will do or if I need 3. argh........
Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Yorkie Love

For a few days Im sure any of those foods are fine but what I do when I run out of food, instead of wasting a whole bag of something else or risking it bothering their stomachs, is cook some ground beef or boil some chicken and add some brown rice or sweet potato and some kind of veggie and just make them that for a few days.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Very Food Agressive

Izzy did really well on Avoderm actually but I guess every dog is different. Whatever you feel is best and most cost effective is always the right choice

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Boo has been on Avoderm - she does fine on it, so we haven't switched.

We had our old dog, Belle on Blue Buffalo Senior and she did just fine on that too.

I don't know too much, but my gut would tell me to go with the food that is closest to what you've been feeding.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
and Fozzie B!

I would get Natural Balance at Petco before getting Blue Buffalo... it's very overpriced, not that great, and gimmicky. I mean, it's still a good kibble. But not worth the cost IMHO. Petco also has Solid Gold, which is awesome, albeit a bit over-priced nowadays.

Poodlemommy has got a good idea. Feeding some home-made meat, veggies, and oatmeal/sweet potato/brown rice/whatnot might cost the same for a few days and there isn't a big risk of tummy upsets.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Top Dog

next time remember to order before the bag is empty so you can get the new bag before the pet food runs out...