Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Default How many have raised puppies/litters on raw here?

I'm just curious?

I read lots of other boards, and on one I read, there are several things stated that I found unusual.

What age do you start your pups on raw?

Mine get freshly ground lean beef when the eyes open, and then are started on ground meats, goat milk and baby cereal at about 4 weeks.

What age do you start RMBs? Mine are given chicken wings and pork necks by 5 to 6 weeks, and manage to clean bones pretty well, altho it takes a couple more weeks for them to actually eat the entire wing.

Do you mix raw and kibble? I don't, since I don't keep kibble in the house at all.

If you are a raw feeder, who is the person you know who has been feeding raw foods the longest? I started home cooking in 1989, some raw about 1990, and by 1993 I had gone all raw. At the time it was highly controversial, even with dedicated dog hobbyists.

I wonder, if you had fed raw for 25 years, would you need a lot of assistance with designing a diet for a puppy?

I wouldn't.

My puppies with pork necks at 6 weeks...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Just try me..

Dekka's litter was mostly raw.. Cargo's litter was all raw. There is a lady I know who has been raising dogs for over 20 years on raw, and another who has been raising goldens on raw for over 15.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
bjdobson

That's so cool!! It's hard to find breeders who feed raw. I put all my pups on raw the minute they walk in the door and the younest was seven weeks but I'm not a breeder, of course.

I know some breeders who raise their pups on raw but also feed kibble because they know they probably won't find raw homes for all their dogs.

Those ones have raw available to them (RMBs) since they're born basically as the mom may have one nearby and they feed them raw as soon as they start feeding them anything.

I started feeding raw in 2004 after my first sheltie died of acute pancreatitis and I'm sure kibble had something to do with it.

I have kibble in the house that I use for treats because it's easy - it's Orijen.

My dogs eat all raw and get raw and kibble for treats, depending on how lazy I am at the moment.

Zoe was on kibble for a few months - she looked so much better when I switched her to raw. It was amazing! That black coat just shines
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdobson View Post
I know some breeders who raise their pups on raw but also feed kibble because they know they probably won't find raw homes for all their dogs.
This was my curiosity...do those who raise the pups on raw require buyers to feed raw as well? Or is it easy to transition them back to kibble?

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Just try me..

Some that I know will only sell to people who will feed raw, some will educate the buyers about raw and good kibbles.

I prefer if people feed raw.. but its not a requirement. If you say you will feed crap food then no puppy for you!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I ENCOURAGE buyers to feed raw, and offer diet plans, advice, and support, but it is not a requirement.

Good kibble IS a requirement. I also encourage people who don't want to go raw to feed several raw meals per week.

I did not have any puppies who had difficulty making the adjustment in this litter, as several went to homes that did not continue with raw food exclusively.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
bjdobson

You can put them back on kibble without any problems though you might get a few issues with the runs for a couple days.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I always feed RAW, my last puppy was raw fed entirely from the breeder to me after weening. No kibble and I don't plan on feeding it either.

The breeder mostly fed ground meats and eggs and cottage cheese, not sure when they started RMB's, but she was eating everything by the time I got her at 9 weeks, pork necks included. It wasn't my plan to give her those, but she stole one from my older dog so I figured, it wasn't going to be a problem.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Never raised puppy on raw so can't help there!.
Titus was put on raw cos he wouldn't eat kibbles and I,only,started that,a yr ago!.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 AM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Mine are given chicken wings and pork necks by 5 to 6 weeks, and manage to clean bones pretty well, altho it takes a couple more weeks for them to actually eat the entire wing.

But...aren't their teeth too small?