Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Active Pup

Unhappy Chained Dog pictures

I found this site as I was working on a project with my students. We are making Valentines for chained dogs for a group called, Dogs Deserve Better. When we went online to find pictures, I was shocked to find pictures of these dogs chained outside to bare wooden doghouses.

Chaining dogs is a form of neglect and abuse, and should be abolished. Please go to the website, Dogs Deserve Better: No Chained Dogs! and read the facts. Thank you.

kali

Dogs Deserve Better, 2003 First Place Winner of the ASPCA/Chase Pet Protector Award, is a voice for chained and penned dogs, whose sadness speaks only through the eyes. As the days become years, many of these dogs sit, lay, eat, and defecate within the same 10-foot radius. Chained by the neck, they exist without respect, love, exercise, social interaction, and sometimes even basic nourishment. They live as prisoners, yet long to be pets.

Chaining is not only inhumane for dogs, but has taken a severe toll on this nationís children as well. In the period from October 2003 through August 2008, there were at least 246 children killed or seriously injured by chained dogs across the country. Chained dogs, unsocialized with humans, can become very territorial of their tiny space, and any two year old who wanders into this space can be attacked and killed before adults can intervene. A recent attack in Texas in March, 2007 left 2 year old Carolina Sotello dead from head and neck wounds. She was attacked and killed by an unneutered male dog chained in the backyard, next to an unspayed female with puppies.

Would you for one second choose to live the life of these dogs? No matter what reason is given, the bottom line is that it is NOT ok to chain a dog for life. Dogs should not have to live chained or penned as prisoners, yearning for a place in a family, craving acknowledgement, respect, and love. They DESERVE BETTER, and we as caretakers have the obligation to provide it for them.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Just try me..

No thanks.

Chaining dogs is not the end of the world.

If you do a search on here you will find that many well loved pets are tied up for various reasons. Some can scale any fence, some live in areas where fencing is not allowed etc etc. Chaining is no more humane or inhumane than many things we do with dogs.

A child is no more at risk or safe entering a yard where an unsocialized dog if fenced in.

And if you abolish chaining..then what? Do you think all the asshats who leave dogs chained 24/7 with no affection are going to spontaniously love their dogs? No they will either dump them or keep them confined where people can't see if the dog is at least fed and watered.

Why not go after the root of the problem not the symptom? Trying to ban chaining is playing right into groups like PETA's agenda. And that is bad for all animals and their owners.

Last edited by Dekka; 02-04-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Those pictures were awful
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
No thanks.

If you do a search on here you will find that many well loved pets are tied up for various reasons. Some can scale any fence, some live in areas where fencing is not allowed etc etc. Chaining is no more human or inhumane than many things we do with dogs.

A child is no more at risk or safe entering a yard where an unsocialized dog if fenced in.

And if you abolish chaining..then what? Do you think all the asshats who leave dogs chained 24/7 with no affection are going to spontaniously love their dogs? No they will either dump them or keep them confined where people can't see if the dog is at least fed and watered.

Why not go after the root of the problem not the symptom? Trying to ban chaining is playing right into groups like PETA's agenda. And that is bad for all animals and their owners.

*applauds*

I have a hound mix, and we often take her to family's houses where there are no fenced yards. She gets put out on a tie out to play outside, and spends the rest of the time inside with us.

Organizations like DDB lump all situations together and do not take into consideration the GOOD owners, who chain their dogs for THEIR OWN safety and well being.

You'll quickly find that most of this forum doesn't bow to the "Animal Rights" agendas.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
bjdobson

Dekka, I didn't even THINK of the things you said but you are ABSOLUTELY correct!

I can't look at the pictures. I hate "bad" animal pictures where the animal is being abused or neglected in some way. I have enough of those pictures in my head already
Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

I am absolutely positive the OP is referring to dogs that LIVE on chains outside with no human interaction, not dogs that are tethered for short periods of time. I was being bashed when I had the same opinion that its cruel for dogs to LIVE on chains, outside..with no human interaction. Not dogs that are simply tethered for certain circumstances that have a wonderful life (Like many dogs here on chaz).
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
I am absolutely positive the OP is referring to dogs that LIVE on chains outside with no human interaction, not dogs that are tethered for short periods of time. I was being bashed when I had the same opinion that its cruel for dogs to LIVE on chains, outside..with no human interaction. Not dogs that are simply tethered for certain circumstances that have a wonderful life (Like many dogs here on chaz).
That organization is affiliated with the HSUS. Their goal is the same as PETA's: The erradication of all domestic animals. Yes it sounds like they are just going after the ones who lives on chains 24/7. But if you read carefully they are against all chaining/tethering.

They link to an HSUS page for 'facts' about chaining.

Quote:
A dog kept chained in one spot for hours, days, months or even years suffers immense psychological damage.
Hmm so if my dog is tethered for a few hours he will suffer from immence psycological damage? Pffft no.

But then the article goes on to say its ok for short periods of time? Even they don't know what they are thinking!!!

Quote:
Rarely does a chained or tethered dog receive sufficient care. Tethered dogs suffer from sporadic feedings, overturned water bowls, inadequate veterinary care, and extreme temperatures.
What a sweeping statement!! If so then what happens to these dogs who can't be chained? The owners will likely lock them up where no one can see if they are getting any care!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
No thanks.

If you do a search on here you will find that many well loved pets are tied up for various reasons. Some can scale any fence, some live in areas where fencing is not allowed etc etc. Chaining is no more human or inhumane than many things we do with dogs.

Great post Dekka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligan View Post
Chaining dogs is a form of neglect and abuse, and should be abolished. Please go to the website, Dogs Deserve Better: No Chained Dogs! and read the facts. Thank you.
They may want the dogs to not live out on the chains(which no one agrees with), but they are taking it to the extreme. They are trying to get ANY chained time to be taken away. Also, being that this the memberís very first post. Iím going to call
Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
No thanks.

exactly
Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

I didn't read the site, so didn't know they were very PETAesque. lol