Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Active Pup

Default question about walking...

my black lab is 6 mo. old today! anyway, i've been having some trouble walking him. he understands the 'heel' position while walking or standing, but when walking (both on and off leash), i've got to remind him every 5 seconds. if there is nothing happening, he walks perfectly at my side. but if he picks up a scent or there's a noise in the distance, he starts speeding up . constantly. are there any specific training methods or techniques you guys would recommend to keep him focused on me and where he is in relation to me, regardless of what else might be going on? do you suppose the regular walk/jog has gotten too boring? thanks for any input.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

You need to build up distraction training gradually. Each new situation is a different exercise for the dog, so in each setting the training pretty much starts over.

After enough different situations, he'll begin to generalize and he'll be able to heel under a variety of distractions.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Active Pup

thanks. so if i just keep this up, he'll eventually get the general point? or should i concentrate on specific types of situations?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Every time he starts pulling, stop and let him know it is not OK by you. Do this a few dozen times and he will understand that you will not walk with him if he pulls you. You can also shorten the leash so that he is always close to your side. He might be trying to see if he can take over the alpha role and start leading you. This happens with puppies before they fully mature. It can happen a few times before they reach the age of 2 years.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
thanks. so if i just keep this up, he'll eventually get the general point? or should i concentrate on specific types of situations?
Well, what is it you're doing exactly? Start with low level distractions and work up to higher level distractions. Start with just getting his attention. Then work on keeping attention while walking.

Use treats and toys, play with him, make yourself more interesting than his environment.

Quote:
He might be trying to see if he can take over the alpha role and start leading you.
Yeah, see, dogs don't try to take over an alpha role with people.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
He might be trying to see if he can take over the alpha role and start leading you. This happens with puppies before they fully mature. It can happen a few times before they reach the age of 2 years.
WTF.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
. He might be trying to see if he can take over the alpha role and start leading you.

thanks for the laugh.. just got back from emerg for the third time in 3 days.. it was good to have a chuckle!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
WTF.
"A pup of six months will still challenge you and other members of the family for the top dog position."

Please read this after you eat your popcorn: http://www.give-a-dog-a-name.com/pup...al-stages.html
There are many reputable articles online about this (that one was the 1st one I found) that talk about it. And please, bring more of your expert friends over. It makes it more fun since they like to gang up and attack like sharks sensing blood on anything someone says that doesn't have above 1,000 posts. Pretty pathetic.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

Oh PUH-leaseeeee!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Just try me..

Yes and it has been disproven soo many times its not funny.

There are articles out there and people who still believe the earth is flat too...

And even if you do buy into the whole dogs are wolves and would form cohesive groups that only mate within the group etc etc... the dominant wolf does not always lead.

Dogs walk in front and pull cause we teach them too.

Puppy is excited to go for walks.. walks are exciting.

Humans walk slow in comparison to canines. So pup walks fast to see new things and ends up pulling.

Now pup is small owner barely notices pulling. But lets look at what happens...

Pup pulles, pup gets to go where he is pulling too. The fun walk continues.

The pup does not know that the walk would continue even if he didn't pull. Over the course of a few walks the pup has learned that pulling 'works'. He is constantly being rewarded for pulling.

Then the pup gets bigger and the pulling becomes noticeable and eventually a pain. Then someone comes on and says that dogs pull because they are trying to dominate you

Dogs aren't out to rule the house. They do what they are trained to do. If you reward them for behaviours you don't want.. well its not the dog's fault.. and its not the dog trying to dominate you.